Debbie Diller's Literacy Stations and Open Court

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by new2FL, Jun 7, 2007.

1. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 7, 2007

Hi all! I realize there are threads on both of these topics, and I have checked out opencourtresources.com, and I am still not sure how to go about this.

My issue is, the school I will be teaching at this year uses Open Court for reading. In fact, I just found out that they are getting the new edition, "Imagine It", for fall, so I'm not sure how relevant the teacher's manual I have is.

Anyway, the admin. basically said, this is what we have for reading, teach it however you need to. (It is a private school). The other
    first grade teacher says she basically relies on the decodable books and the anthology, and makes up the rest. According to the schedule they gave me, I have about an hour for reading.

I am very interested in using Debbie Diller's Literacy Work Stations as a chunk on my reading block (perhaps replacing Open Court's IWT?). PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

It is a short block for reading, but if you could pick and choose the parts from Open Court that are musts, what would they be?:confused: TIA...

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 8, 2007

For first grade, the phonics (green section) is a must. Whatever problems or opinions people have with Open Court, it does have a strong phonics foundation. I would not leave out any part of the green section.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2007

I agree. I taught OCR for kinder and the green section is the part I focused on the most. I chose parts of the red section to teach and did not do the blue at all (did writer's workshop instead).

5. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I do ALL (or most) of the green section (phonics). I tend to do SOME of the red section, but not everything because some of their ideas are really ridiculous (or the length they suggest for the lessons). I used the decodables this year, but I wasn't quite fond of them because they aren't leveled and using them in a group didn't always work too well. I tend to take the theme of the blue section but do writer's workshop instead.

I only got into doing center like things at the end of the year. Open court tends to be very "whole group" teaching, which worked & didn't work this year.

6. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Debbie Diller's Literacy Stations and Open Court ~

Hi, I am also new to first grade and we use Open Court. I have a book by Debbie Diller, "Reading with Meaning"...I haven't read it yet, but am going on a trip this week and will take it to read on the plane...maybe we can plan some of this stuff together.

I have planned on doing my reading like this so far, my CT did this and it worked well.

****Have reading groups , probably four groups and after a small whole group lesson, have children break into groups/Centers

Examples of centers:
    Center 1 will be a reading activity/game on carpet
    Center 2 will be Seat Work, a reading worksheet at desks/file folder games
    Center 3 will be reading using whisper phones
    Center 4 will be Teacher Table-where I read the weeks story with each group.

I liked the idea of working with the students in small groups. I have seen Balanced Literacy done at other schools...and loved the small group instruction...but since my school does Open Court, so far this is all I have came up with...but, like I said, I will read the other book...and keep me posted on what you decide too. Okay?
    Thanks,
    td

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

8. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I totally agree with the others! The green portion is the most important section for OC. I taught Open Court for first grade for the last 3 years and the green section is the only part I would never skimp on. In my edition the green section recommended using 30 minutes to complete the lessons.

We are switching to Scott Foresman's Reading Street fot 07-08. I need to start reading my TE!

9. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Thanks for the link, it is awesome. I would love to attend a training like that.

10. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Debbie Diller used to come to our school about 2-3 times a year and met with us on our conference periods. She's even taken pictures of our classrooms, who knows my workstations may be in a book somewhere! Anyway....she has some great ideas, just don't get too bogged down and feel like you have to do everything at once, its a process.

11. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 11, 2007

That is so great to have some hands on training like that available. I feel like I get so much more out of w workshop or class setting than just reading and trying to figure things out on my own.

No doubt your kiddos are probably featured in one of her books!

While her book is ver explicit and can basically be used as a guide, I am not sure how much to start with. I think she says she has 10 stations going, which seems like a lot. My classroom is very small, and I will only have between 15 and 18 students, so I was thinking starting with 5 or 6 stations, then maybe adding more later if needed. Of course, once they are up and running, guided reading groups with me would become a station. Does this sound doable?

I was thinking of teaching 1 or 2 stations/wk for the first few weeks of school, and using center time for practice while I tweak and fine tune.