Debating applying for a tutoring postion (long)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 11, 2010

Recently my school applied for a grant that would allow us to become supplemental educational support providers (tutors). The grant was approved and now they're hiring tutors from within our school, but from outside as well. I've been considering applying, but the deadline is tomorrow and I'm really not sure!

Here's what the job would entail: I would be given 4 students (most likely 4 of my 5th graders) that I would be responsible for tutoring in reading and/or writing. I would be required to provide 30 hours of tutoring for each student either one-on-one, or in a small group from March-August. The tutoring times would be scheduled with the parents and could be right after school, or later on at night/weekends at the child's home. The stipend for the position is $32/hour which adds up to quite a bit of money if I end up tutoring the students one-on-one.

Here's what I'm concerned about, though...

I already work until 3:45 every day and always have grading/planning to do after school. I have either professional development or committee meetings every Tuesday until 5:15 and a staff meeting one Wednesday a month until 5:00. On top of that, as of April I'll be back into taking grad classes (and will be all summer). These things will all make scheduling tutoring slightly difficult. Also, this is my 3rd year in my current position and I finally feel like I've got it together. I don't want to start to feel overwhelmed by taking on something like this.

Ugh, I don't know what to do. The hubby keeps saying that the money would be great, and I agree, but I don't want to do a half-hearted job at it because I've got too much on my plate.

Anyway, I guess I still have some thinking to do. Thanks for letting me vent! :)

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 11, 2010

If you'd feel happy doing it, then go for it! There will always be excuses not to. It doesn't sound like you have kids, and when that happens you'll have to give up things like this.

For me, tutoring is more fun than teaching because I get instant feedback about my teaching when the kid gets that 'aha' moment. I enjoy framing things in different ways until I find a way to relate to the particular student.

If tutoring will be more of a hassle to you, then no, but if you can feel like you're contributing to these kids then go for it! Yes, you'll have a lot on your plate, but if you can find this rewarding in many ways, being busy can be invigorating and with a sense of accomplishment.

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 12, 2010

I had similar thoughts before stating tutoring at an after school program my students attend. Now I am really glad I did it.
    30*5=150 hours/ 6 months=less than 30 hours/month so about 7 hours/ week.
    And that's if you do one-on-one. If you try to schedule groups of 2 (at least during the school yr) then it could be 3 hours/week.
    Good luck!