Debate time! Should teachers be armed in order to protect their students?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Caesar753, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

They are trained in many more areas than just shooting a gun and that training is ongoing, they are required to pass tests regularly to make sure they can tell the difference between an unarmed bystander and a shooter. They are trained in negotiating situations with people, with crisis intervention. I also think they also get somewhat desenitized to the crime they witness. There's just no amount of training that could make me qualified to carry a gun on a school campus. None. Nor would I ever want that responsibility.

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

Yes. Yes I would. Without hesitation. And I suspect that most other parents at my school would do the same.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

My children would be gone from that class immediately.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

I think I could live with killing a shooter who was there to harm my students. I'm pretty sure. But what is that shooter was one of my students? It wouldn't be that simple, it'll be harder to deal with it.
    And yes, I didn't think the teachers would carry the guns, the guns would be in the desk drawer, locked away. But if the students knew it was there, there would be problems, some would try to get it. Our kids are already really good at distracting the teacher so the others can get away with something,m these tactics would just increase.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2014

Unless the teacher actually had a shoulder holster firearm at the ready, it might be a moot point. I keep thinking about the shootings at Fort Bragg. If any place would have people with weapons, it would be there, but there have been two mass killings anyway.

ETA: I have been reminded that ONLY Military Police are permitted to carry weapons on military bases. My one housemate who was in the military was an MP, so it skewed my understanding of base rules.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2014

A few points:

Firstly, at no time did I compare the danger levels of teaching vs. police work. That one's a no brainer. My point was to show that the average police officer is not in danger every day, or even every year. There's an element that's always on their minds, but the reality is that police work is long stretches of utter boredom punctuated by brief periods of excitement. If an officer happens to be one of the very small minority of officers that wind up in gun fights, they know how to respond only because of the ongoing training and recertification they undergo every year, not because their day to day activities give them experience. There is absolutely no reason why anybody in any other profession who was willing to dedicate the same amount of time to training and recertification could not be equally as competent.

To be very clear about my own opinions, I do not advocate the willy-nilly arming of just anybody in a school, however, I see absolutely no difference between a teacher who's undergone the same training, psychological background checks, and ongoing recertification and a School Resource Officer, who's days are no different than the teachers in their schools. The badge the SRO carries around doesn't give him any magical powers.

One more point that I've avoided. I've was quite offended by the statement about "forgetting" one has a gun. One simply does not forget such a thing. Quite the contrary, somebody who's accustomed to carrying regularly who isn't carrying for whatever reason, tends to be unreasonably protective of the area where they normally holster their weapons. Ask anybody who knows me how difficult it is to sneak up behind me. It doesn't happen. While admittedly unscientific, this is the case with every single person I know who carries regularly. It's insulting to the huge number of responsible gun owners to insinuate that we're an irresponsible and unintelligent group, simply because we own guns.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

Oh for cripes sake, nobody is calling gun owners irresponsible or intelligent. But put thirty children in a room, and eventually anybody's guard will let down for a second at some point, no matter how responsible or careful you are.

I'm on my phone so I don't want to respond more to te rest of your points, but you're the one who brought up cops and how their job wasn't really that dangerous. You don't get to act indignant when people point out that it's still a lot more dangerous than the average teaching position.

9. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

Finally turned into a debate and I'm stepping away because I am completely 100% for radical gun regulation in the U.S. :)

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

Agree 100%.

11. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2014

No. So many things can go wrong. Teachers get pushed to the edge--that can end badly.

Somehow--in my head--I can see me getting over powered by students who could take my gun. Giving a student a failing grade or detention would become all the more terrifying.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

I would really rather teachers spend that time on lesson plans, grading, and the like. Police can devote the amount of time to gun training that they do precisely because it's a core requirement of their job.

I also don't really want to read the headline about the police responding to a school situation and shooting a teacher because they thought the teacher was attacking the school.

And as far as forgetting one has a gun, I think it happens:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/business/tsa-is-finding-more-guns-at-airport-security-checkpoints.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Note that later in the article, it notes that a police officer who responded to one incident accidentally fired the gun while trying to unload it.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

This is not how I want to be around my students. I want my whole focus to be on them and teaching them and not have to worry about a 5-year old innocently "sneaking up" on me. I know you are passionate about this, but I think most laypeople just don't want that responsibility in the classroom.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

I'm curious how you could guarantee such a thing. I think your opinion about guns and gun control might be coloring your perception.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

How? I have plenty of things in my room, see 100 kids a day and my students don't know about many of the items. Heck, it is usually halfway through the semester before they realize I have another door tucked in a corner. I can, with no hesitation, say that I could keep a gun hidden in my room with no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.