Debate time! Should teachers be armed in order to protect their students?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Caesar753, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

I agree completely.

Again, agreed although I have no interest in debating this. Nothing will change my mind anyway. I also agree that it would probably be one of the few things that could get me to leave teaching. There's just no way I'm carrying a gun, especially into a building filled with children. It's not happening.

2. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

Absolutely not. My dad is a police officer. I told him the day a school tells me I need to be trained to carry a gun is the day I quit being a teacher. It's not happening.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

I completely agree. I would NEVER carry a gun on a school campus, or work at a school where laypeople are carrying guns. However, I work in California, so that is very unlikely to ever happen here.

I've thought about this before and I just don't see how any good could come out of it. At my elementary school, we have several students with special needs and severe behaviors. I had one in my class last year. These students are sometimes very unpredictable. I could see one of them getting a teacher's gun and doing some real damage, and these are 6-8 year olds. I can't even imagine at the higher levels. And if the gun was locked away where students couldn't get it, then it's unlikely the teacher would be able to access it quickly enough in a real emergency anyway.

I would NEVER do it. I am NOT comfortable with guns, especially around children! Too many things could go wrong.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

Absolutely not!

5. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

I'm almost tempted to play devil's advocate just to get the debate rolling, but I just can't. NO, we don't need guns. I don't want to imagine my colleagues with guns or joking in private about situations where they would like to use their guns. I agree that it's very risky to have a gun in the classroom just waiting for a child to find it. This is just a minor point, but it would be distracting for the kids, too! Could you imagine if your teachers had had guns in some mysterious location in your classroom? I can't.

We would look like the ultimate buffoons in the eyes of pretty much everyone outside the US if we took this route. And that's exactly what we would be.

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

LOL...This is definitely not a debate. I agree with everyone else. I like that my school has access controls, so anyone looking to get in has to press a buzzer first and speak with someone in the front office.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

And what would the guidelines be? Could we use it when an irate parent acts hostile? What about a student threatening us? I've even seen colleagues come close to blows before-what if one was armed? It opens up a whole new world of liability.

I think a lot of these parents who are for it would change their minds if they walked into Open House and saw their child's Kindergarten teacher wearing a gun holster. In my opinion it would send the wrong message to students.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

Protect the students? What about protecting ourselves?:lol::lol:

Seriously though, no.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2014

I'll bite.

What's the difference between a police officer and a teacher who's been through identical training and held to the same standards in the use of lethal force?

How does being a police officer suddenly make a person more able to use such training over a person who has not been deputized/sworn in?

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

We have a former cop teaching at my school. And several veterans. All of which have had extensive training.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

A police officer spends all day putting themselves in potentially deadly situations. A teacher spends all day around children. Except for rare circumstances, a teacher isn't going to be spending their entire working life constantly aware they could be in a deadly confrontation at any moment. All it takes is for a teacher to once... just ONCE... forget that they have a gun on them for a child to get it and decide that it's a toy. It would not be a question of if there would be deadly accidents. It would be a question of how many and how often.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

And keep in mind also that police officers are constantly facing questions of police brutality.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 22, 2014

I don't want to have one but I would love to have an SRO or two on campus.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

Well....

1) A police officer wears a standard uniform, so that when other police officers arrive and see him/her waving a gun around they don't shoot (usually).

2) Police officers are not burdened with things like PT conferences, grading homework, creating lesson plans, and the like -- and so can devote their time to things like continual training to their skills sharp.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

This doesn't matter to me. If I wanted to be armed and dangerous, I might have become a cop, but I didn't. I want to teach, not be responsible for killing people. I have no interest in being trained to shoot bad guys. I am scared to death of guns as well as being repulsed by them. My job as a teacher shouldn't require me to exchange gunfire. If that had been a requirement, I never would've gone into this profession.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.