Debate time! Should parents face fines/jail if their kids are truant?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Caesar753, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 13, 2014

Because telling your defiant kid you don't want them hanging out with person X is the be-all end-all, right? Because kids do what their parents tell them to all the time without question, right? Because kids never lie, right?

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 13, 2014

Are you or aren't you a parent?

It is easy to say what you would do when you are a parent when you are not a parent or in the same situation.

Enjoy following your child around all the time. Oh, wait. You won't have to because your child will give you truthful answers when you ask, especially when he or she is planning on doing something they know you won't let them. And, that friend you insist on meeting who ends up having great manners and is extremely respectful to you is always that way and would never do something wrong because you insisted on meeting him first. :lol:

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

Taking shots, are you? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And now you're taking shots at us? Ok.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

This discussion has flown off the rails. Let's get back to the law and ethics of parents who, willingly or through ignorance, allow their children to be truant.

5. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

I'm not a parent.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

It's interesting seeing how this thread is answered so differently by posters who have raised children and those who haven't.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 13, 2014

I missed 23 days of the second semester of my junior year--and it was not my mom's fault. I was 17 years old and I didn't want to be there...she couldn't force me. I had As in everything. There were days I left school after 1st period--that sounds like the school's fault there--I just walked out the door.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 13, 2014

I think for elementary and middle, definitely the parents should get in trouble.

I would say once kids hit 15 or 16, it should be the children's responsibility because at that age they can do what I did, walk right out the school and get in their car and leave.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

It was the school's fault that you left campus? How could the school have prevented that?

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 13, 2014

I was being facetious. It was MY FAULT. Not the school's and certainly not my working mom 30 miles away. But if someone were going to lay blame to someone other than me (the child), then it would be the school and not the parent because my mom ensured I got there.

Just as if I dropped my 7 year old off at school and he wandered away an hour later, the school would be liable--not me. Once a parent ensures a child gets to school, the parent should not be held accountable if the child willfully leaves the school. The school if the child is a youngster wandering away, and the child if they are old enough to choose to "skip," to the Burger King for a milkshake.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

Ah, gotcha. I misread your tone.

12. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

To be totally honest, some of these posts are amazing me. In the districts I've subbed in for high schools there is a teacher or security guard at all exists. I can't see how a student would be able to cut before lunch periods. Things must be done differently in different states, because in NJ the secretary personally calls for absents and cuts.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

Just a reminder that personal attacks will not be tolerated and members engaging in such behavior can and will be banned.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

Things are different in different places. Almost all the high schools in my district are an open design with at least 16 exits. Besides that, most of them have portable classrooms located in parking lots, between athletic fields, and in other exterior locations. For these reasons it's pretty easy for students to leave the high school campuses without anyone noticing.

Parents get automated phone calls for all absences, but those go out a couple of hours after the school day is over. There's no real-time communication with parents about their absent students (which I think is a problem). There's no way a secretary could make all those phone calls because there are just too many students.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 13, 2014

Yes, Princess. Things work differently in other places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.