Death...don't know where to post!!!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by just-n-educator, Nov 5, 2008.

1. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Nov 5, 2008

I have never had to deal with this directly in my classroom before. One of my little boys mother (due to Cancer) passed away last Thursday. I didn't find out about it till just now. I am not even sure if I should say something to him, or should I just wait till he says something to me?

I was noticing since the beginning of the year that there wasn't anyone taking care of him or helping him with his homework. I feel really bad about this because he was one of my ones that didnt bring in his school supplies and I kept sending notes home and telling them to send in the supplies. I wish someone would have told me so I wouldn't be so MEAN!!!:unsure: I don't know how to deal with this...it breaks my heart. We all know it will come to all of us...but when it is actually gets us, it is really hard to deal with it! I know that there 5 children in the family and the oldest is 15. I guess the family is trying to have as little impact as possible on the children. So thats why they are already coming to school. I don't know how to deal with this at all!!! Please suggest things I could do or say that will help him in anyway. Should I even say anything to the class? My email probably doesn't even make sense. But I don't even know how to put my feelings in words!!!

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Nov 5, 2008

I wouldn't say anything unless he did. It's hard at any age, but really hard on a child. Keep an eye on his behavior and emotions. If he seems like he needs to talk, send him to guidance to talk to someone or let him know that you are there if he needs to talk about anything. I also wouldn't say anything to the class. Let that be his decision.

4. just-n-educator

Nov 5, 2008

The Class found out through him. There was a freak accident on the highway. The children heard it in the news on the way to school. When the Religion teacher found out she talked about death and what happens when you die. He then told the class that his mother has passed away. He seemed fine all day today. Either he is too young to actually understand or they must have known for a long time that this will eventually happen. Unfortunately we dont have a counselor...so I might end up talking to him if he needs it.

5. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Nov 6, 2008

WHo is this boy staying with now that mom has passed? I would call home and find out the details. It sounds very strange that you didn't hear anything about this from the child or a relative after an entire week. Definitely make that call and go from there.

6. just-n-educator

Nov 9, 2008

Well the school secretary called home to find out why he was not coming. Later I asked the boy of who is he staying with. He said there is a grand mother, grand father, an aunt and I think an uncle as well. Dad has gone back to the home country for the burial. I do plan to call home next week.