Dear Teacher:

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by artiste7, Mar 9, 2018.

1. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Mar 9, 2018

If you are reading this, please pay attention to these suggestions when leaving your class in the charge of a sub/supply/guest teacher:

1. If you are taking a planned absence, please have clear plans that are clear and concise. Preferably they should be printed, not handwritten. If you handwrite them, please write legibly. Leave the plans in a conspicuous place where they can be easily found, along with any work you want your Ss to do. Have emergency plans if it's last minute. Please don't just leave your lesson plan book out, expecting the guest to understand your notation.

2. Please leave brief classroom management plans that you use in your classroom, i.e. how to get Ss attention, class rules, bathroom, water, etc.so that they can be accountable to do things the way you want. It's good to let the guest know who the reliable helpers are, at least two, just in case one is absent. Ss love to try to take over when you are gone.

3. If there is are Ss with special needs in your class, please leave a note, of course confidential information would not be stated but just say "Tommy needs to stand up" "Mary needs frequent snacks". If you don't say anything, they won't know. Some guests pick up on things right away, but it's really up to you to inform them.

4. It's really best to leave review work for your Ss, due to common core standards, the guest may or may not be familiar with the way math is taught now, and it's not reasonable to expect them to learn in 30 minutes what you have gone to multiple inservice trainings to master. Remember they are not responsible for teaching the subject matter, because most of the time you will have to re-teach it anyway and Ss are used to your way.

These things will make the day go by much easier, and keep your guest informed as well as accountable for what is required in your classroom.

Thank you.

A-7

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2018

Those are some common sense, basic guidelines I wish someone would have given to SEVERAL teachers for whom I subbed once and refused afterward.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 9, 2018

If I could have a sub that read my sub plans and didn’t give away my personal belongings, I’d be happy.

MsKelsey, Baroness, nstructor and 2 others like this.
  6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 12, 2018

What happened? What did he/she give away? Man..

7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 3, 2018

Dear Teacher
    Please back me up when I tell you a student needs to be dealt with. I promise you, I do not wake up in the morning and brainstorm ways to lie about student behavior!

Anonymous425 likes this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 3, 2018

These are good general guidelines. Do keep in mind that we can only share limited information about our special needs students, In my case this year, you would need to talk with one of my aides for specifics, but they will generally deal with any major issues.

Also, I may not be able to leave a review lesson for you to teach. Especially at this time of year, as things wrap up, my students' education needs to continue even if I am not there. I will, however, try to leave you a lesson plan that is very clear with respect to what my students need to accomplish.

bella84 likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2018

Would you care for a reply 'Dear Sub' letter?

MsKelsey, Baroness, bella84 and 2 others like this.
  10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 3, 2018

Books, pens, pencils, prizes, folders, and gifts from students have been given out/stolen by subs. I even had one give out three hundred dollars of curriculum materials and it took me three months of pestering kids to get it back.

I leave detailed plans. I now have a part of my sub plans that says to not pass out materials that belong to me or the school unless specifically asked to do so. I thought it went without saying. Guess not.

MsKelsey likes this.
  11. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 4, 2018

Wow. When I was regular subbing I would never have dreamed of giving out a teacher's belongings. Yikes!

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 4, 2018

That's awesome!!! That sub sounds like the kind of sub I would want as a young student, but not as a teacher.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 4, 2018

Please, do! I'd love to read it.

CherryOak likes this.
  14. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 4, 2018

Hahaha. The calm before the storm....

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 4, 2018

We've had a LOT of "Dear Sub" threads, but I never get tired of the dialogue. It's an ongoing discussion. I learn a lot from it, as I have been a substitute teacher but have never had one take over my classroom in my absence (it's part of the structure of where I have taught).

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2018

I'm struggling with this one.

I read here a lot about subs wanting to be perceived and treated like regular classroom teachers, and I think that's a fair desire. In order to have that, though, I think that subs need to be able to step up and do the things that regular classroom teachers do--namely teach. It's right there in the title of the job. While I agree that review work is often best for subs, that's not always an option, and a sub should be expected to be able to teach. If a sub shouldn't be expected to teach, then I'm not sure that he should expect to be treated the same as a regular classroom teacher or even to be called a "guest teacher". You can't have it both ways, you know?

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 4, 2018

When I was a sub, the term "guest teacher" was just beginning to be used. My feelings then, as now, is that as a guest, I would not expect to have to fend for myself, and people would smile even when they weren't happy. As a sub, however, I was tasked to be in charge, take responsibility for my actions and those of my students. I don't ask my guests to do the dishes, clean up, or worry about what they may take out of my fridge, but as a sub, I expected to leave the room at least as clean as I found it, with the teacher's private property untouched, protected during my stay. I was a lousy guest, but an exceptional sub.

MsKelsey likes this.
  18. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 4, 2018

I think a lot of this depends on the grade level you teach. When I subbed, I often taught new material in elementary classrooms, but monitored student practice if I subbed in middle and high school classrooms. So, I will say that what I am writing is from the perspective of a middle school teacher.

As a teacher, I am expecting my students to have a productive day if I am not there, but realize that the students aren't getting the education they would be receiving if I were in the classroom. That is nothing against the substitute. I just have taught the material for a few years and know the needs of my class better than anyone just walking in can.

In the rare instance I absolutely need to get something taught, I try to find an approach that I know exactly what the students are receiving. For example, I have left the students with an assignment on edpuzzle. I can see exactly what the video is saying, I can add my own comments, and I can put the occasional question to check for understanding. I have a content partner who will write sub plans that say, "Teach chapter 15, lesson 3 in the book and have the students complete the practice problems." For my peace of mind, I feel much more comfortable the way I do it. (My administration and most subs would agree)

Jammy likes this.
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2018

Dear sub,
    I'm either at a workshop, personal day or I'm deathly sick as those are the only reasons I'd be absent. Please read my plans and follow them to the letter because I know my kids, I know what they need, I know how to manage them and I know they will take advantage if you don't follow the plans. Because kids like to know what to expect. And they expect me. But I'm not there. So do what I've outlined. I've left you EXPLICIT plans, schedules, pull outs, modifications, emergency contingencies, routines, procedures, lockdown and fire drills....leave me notes of any idiosyncrocies. Or absences... otherwise follow my plans. My grade level colleagues can answer any questions you have...they are awesome and want you to have a good day- so do I. Follow my plans and don't F it up...there's chocolate in the top drawer.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 4, 2018

I'm sorry if people haven't followed your plans, czacza. Seriously, when I was still subbing, the more detailed the plans, the better the day. I LIVED for the teachers who told me of their classroom peccadilloes.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2018

pec·ca·dil·lo
    ˌpekəˈdilō/
    noun
    1. a small, relatively unimportant offense or sin.
      synonyms: misdemeanor, petty offense, indiscretion, lapse, misdeed

Let me assure you that relevant plans are not peccadilloes. I need to pick up when I come back and not have to clean up a sub's mess. Hence I leave detailed plans... which take a lot of thought, organization and explanation. So when they are not followed my kids are done a disservice, I have wasted time and that sub is going on my no thank you list.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2018

Whoa, no offense! I meant the small intricacies of your classroom's inner workings and not just what the lesson of the day would be. The more details, the better, at least in my view as someone who was walking into a new situation each day.

Jammy and czacza like this.
  23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 5, 2018

Don't tell where the stash is. I don't share mine! LOL

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2018

Sharing is caring

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  25. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 5, 2018

In my area, we're just happy if we can get a sub. It doesn't matter if you put in a request weeks in advance....maybe it's just preschool?

26. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

May 1, 2019

27. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

May 1, 2019

It depends on the material. You can't expect someone with an art degree to recall complicated math material that you have spent several inservice sessions learning and expect them to "teach" it with 30 minutes of preparation time. it's not reasonable. Not sure what is meant by "stepping up" but OK...i'm not going to be in your classroom anyway. there are some teachers who don't understand. i get it. insults come with the territory.

Jammy likes this.
  28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2019

Follow the plans. Most teachers leave plans that could be followed by anyone. I teach third grade, not ‘complicated math’ but I never assume my sub is going to know my content areas. So I leave review, easy kinds of stuff I know the kids will be able to do regardless of who the sub is...

And this thread is a year old, btw.

29. MsKelsey

MsKelsey Rookie

May 2, 2019

As a sub I constantly have to question whether or not students are lying to me about these things! I once subbed for a teacher that had DSLR cameras in her room and I had a student tell me they were allowed to "borrow" them. This seemed REALLY fishy to me so I didn't allow it and then I got a very irritated phone call from another teacher telling me to give the student camera...

30. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

May 8, 2019

You were smart not to believe them.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 9, 2019

The teacher should have left a note saying they could borrow them. Not your fault!

32. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

I expect to be treated with respect, as a human being. It's not reasonable to expect someone to teach something they saw for 30 minutes or less to the degree that you would, having had iservices on the subject matter. And since you don't know the background of a sub, (some teach vocational classes, adjunct faculty, etc) it's really elitist to feel that you don't have to treat them with respect, which is all I ask). I am a guest teacher, a teaching artist of art. It's what I do. Not sure where the struggle is coming from unless you have a problem with respecting others.

Jammy likes this.
  33. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

34. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

Tommy needs to stand up" "Mary needs frequent snacks". If you don't say anything, they won't know. There are no confidentiality issues with general info.