Dear student, whatever your grandma says about me never happened!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 9, 2019

Here I am, filling out papers for parent-teacher conference, and thinking about one of my students. I know his family. They are great. I worked with his grandparents and some of his aunts at summer camp for five years.

...this was when I was in college/early in my career. And camp work... well, it's like joining a super-happy cult. I was and still am a totally good girl, but we did crazy stuff at camp. Not bad-kid crazy... just pure crazy.

I really hope Grandma isn't telling Student stories about me. :D

Tired Teacher, Aces and vickilyn like this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 9, 2019

Backroads, you do leave us drooling for more information . . . quite the cliffhanger!

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 9, 2019

And here I was thinking you were a goodie- goodie!?

I had this happen to me once upon a time. I had a parent who her and I went to college together — I know this woman and we're still good friends. Her oldest son was in my AP chemistry class his junior year. Now these people have a really unique last name so when I seen it I knew who it was. Anyways fast forward to the home coming football game. Now me being me, of course I was there.

He comes up to me and goes "Mr [my last name] have I got something to ask you! My mom was telling me stories from college about how you'd mix bootleg alcohol in your dorm room!"
    I told him 'Now young man, you listen to me. Your mother is not the one to be sharing stories about college days. We had an 8 a.m sharp ethics class that she showed up to every morning we had that class she showed up higher than a kite.' Or something to that effect.

Her face was PRICELESS. I knew I could get away with it, and I knew she wouldn't be upset. But man oh man was the look on both of their faces more than worth it.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2019

That's funny. When I was in high school I found out my mom went to Catholic school with my drama director. He looked a bit worried that my mom would tell me stories LOL

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 11, 2019

One night it was cold and blizzardy. I saw a lady out in the middle of nowhere. The only place nearby was a lodge. She'd been kicked out.
    It used to be illegal here not to pick up a hitchhiker in cold conditions and I hate seeing people stuck like that anyways.
    I picked her up and she was drunker than a skunk and drove her almost 30 miles to the next lodge.
    A few yrs later, she showed up at our school with her kids in tow! I bet she was hoping I wouldn't tell them any of our past history too. She remembered me and I remembered her too.

Backroads likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:06 AM

That's nuts. I hope she sobered up enough to be a responsible parent.
    I'd rather be fined or whatever the punishment was for NOT picking up a hitchhiker. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:01 AM

The worst... I do not dare post in a forum. It did not involve alcohol or drugs or anything strictly illegal, but I'd rather not mention what we did.

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:32 PM

That was many years ago. People around here are a different breed. When I 1st moved down south, I had a horrible time not stopping for anyone who needed help. I'd have never gotten anywhere if I did though because there were so many of them.
    Times have changed since then. It is not illegal now. You are required to phone the Troopers though. In extreme weather, it is like giving someone a death sentence if you don't help. For awhile, I got scared off men and only picked up women. Then some dumb butt from out of the area got a ride from a really kind man from here. He shot him dead and stole his truck. He was stupid because there is only 1 road out of here. I don't pick up hitchhikers anymore. ( Not saying I never will again.)
    I am very thankful though for some of the "different breeds." Men and some women up here are some of the best ever when it comes to emergencies.. I got stuck last yr and within 5 minutes 3 different guys in trucks stopped to help and they had me out of an enormous snow drift.. In my lifetime, I have been stuck or off the road in a ditch at least 40 times. Every time someone stopped to help. Some of those times would have been extremely bad for me if they hadn't. I guess I live in an alternate world than most! :) Oh, yeah! She grew up to be a decent parent.

Backroads likes this.