Dear Principals: Don't say you're going to call if you're not going to call

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Jun 15, 2012.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, it's another one of these threads. :)

Had an interview on Monday, I thought I did pretty well. As to whether I impressed the three teachers and principal I interviewed with, I don't know.

Principal told me they wanted to make a decision by Wednesday (this week) and that they would call either way.

So far, no call, so I figure I didn't get the job unless they really haven't been able to make up their minds yet, which I doubt.

I understand that Principals are under no obligation to call you...but, if you (principal) say you are going to call...then call.

Otherwise, I think it's better to just tell the prospective candidate that if you haven't heard from us by whenever, we've selected another candidate. Or send out a mass email like other principals/schools do.

I'm going to call on Monday to see what is going on.

3. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 15, 2012

I absolutely agree with this! :thumb:

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, also, don't say you're going to call me for an interview if you're not. :(

5. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

I hear you! I had an interview on Monday and the Principal said she was going to make a decision by the end of the week. She didn't say she would call me if I wasn't chosen, but I still feel like my life is on hold. It would be nice to at least hear from them. Im looking forward to the end of the day so I can either be nervous about starting a new job or relaxed because I didn't get it. I just want to know. I don't let myself get disappointed anymore.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 15, 2012

I hear you! I had an interview last Monday, and they said we would hear regardless by Thursday. Thursday came and went, no call. My friend also had an interview, and she called them on Friday and they said that they had people cancel, and were interviewing them on Monday, so we should hear then. Okay awesome. Monday came and went.. nothing! She called again on Wednesday, and the principal said that her assistant principal was making the selection, and she didn't know who it was. Well, it's Friday now, and neither of us have heard anything. I was offered another position, so I am fine but I know my friend really wants that job and it's really irritating how they just string you along. Most of the principals did let me know when they said they would, which was nice.

7. MathGeek

MathGeek Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

I had 2 interviews earlier this summer and both said they would call of their decision. I got email rejections on the days they were going to call.

8. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

I would be happy to get that.

9. MathGeek

MathGeek Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Just call them if you want a definitive answer. Sometimes they don't call because they've offered a position to someone and are waiting to get a yes/no from them, if they get a No, then they go on down the line.

Where I worked at last year I waited 2 weeks before I got a call that I got the job after the #1 candidate declined.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

Did they actually tell you that you were #2? I hope not!

11. MathGeek

MathGeek Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Not when they called haha - I had learned it later on in the year. But I'd rather be #2 and had a job then be #5 and subbing.

12. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 15, 2012

The same thing happened to me recently. I don't understand why a principal would do that.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

It's hard. Principals forget what they say. That's why it is important to call them and ask or send them an e-mail.

14. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

Guess I should be more patient.

Just got a call from the principal and she told me that they probably won't make a decision until next week sometime, but that I am under consideration.

But go ahead and continue venting. :eek:

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

What a timely thread. I recently did a walk-in, and talked to the P for a bit, and she said she'd make sure and tell them to put me on the interview list. Even with my jaded self, I gotta admit that I have held out hope (optimism) that I have an interview at-hand (soon).
    This thread is bringing me back to reality (unfortunately).

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

Superintendent directive

I just found out why I am not getting an interview. The super. has stated only first step applicants will be interviewed. I found this out from my friend who works in the district.

At least I know.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Would you be willing to start at step one, rainbowbird?

18. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

What's a first step applicant?

19. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Agreed! I had one principal say during the interview that they felt it was rude to send emails or letters, so they would for sure call me either way. He never called or responded to my followup calls. Pretty sure that's rude too, sir.

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

I think that it is someone with no experience so that they cost less. As you get experience, you move down steps in the salary schedule.

21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

I have thought about that. By rights I should be on step 8. I am 45 years old so time is ticking on my retirement account. I think it is something to consider eventually though. Right now I have 5 applications out in neighboring districts, and most of them haven't closed yet.

The other thing is that some district's contracts stipulate that the district may not start a teacher below a certain step if they have experience. But it is something I may have to consider eventually.

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

I have thought about that. By rights I should be on step 8. I am 45 years old so time is ticking on my retirement account. I think it is something to consider eventually though. Right now I have 5 applications out in neighboring districts, and most of them haven't closed yet.

The other thing is that some district's contracts stipulate that the district may not start a teacher below a certain step if they have experience. But it is something I may have to consider eventually.

23. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 16, 2012

How would you denote something like that in an application? IOW, if a district is looking for people on step 1 (and you are on step 8 and know they'd probably bypass your app simply on that), how can you tell them that you would be willing to start on a lower step?

24. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 16, 2012

If they bypass me due to my years of experience, there is nothing I can do about it. But sometimes a district is interested, will interview and wish to hire, and will then ask to negotiate a lower salary with more experienced candidates. It is their call. If the contract allows it, that is.