Dealing with the stress of the job hunt?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 3, 2012

So here I am again, on the job hunt. Last year I accepted a LTS in my old district and the P was quite sure that he would have a position for me this year. But the district is having severe financial issues and there are no jobs, in fact, they are cutting positions.

No surprise there, right?

When my LTS job ended, I took two excellent part-time jobs at the university level. They were temporary but professional and look great on my resume. I enjoyed working part time as it was really great for my family.

But once a teacher, always a teacher, and as soon as the semester ended, I began feeling restless and looking at the ads. So I am jumping back in and will be dropping off 3 packets tomorrow. I have a great reference from the LTS job to add to my file.

Hopefully my chances are better with this most recent experience on my resume. I had previous experience from teaching before I had children, so I am a little more expensive than the new grads.

Already I can feel the stress starting, although I said I wouldnt let it get to me this time. There is the anxiety about not finding anything, about performing in the interview, and personally, as a mom, I have a lot of stress and guilt about working even though my kids are in grade school. It was so HARD last fall trying to do it all. My DH was supportive, but he is a teacher too, and it made for a very busy household. I am hoping that if I land a real job this time, not a LTS, I will enjoy it more and will also enjoy a bigger salary, obviously. The LTS pay I was getting was really low.

How is everyone else dealing with the stress? Any moms or dads out there who have gone back into teaching and lived to tell the tale? LOL:dizzy:

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 3, 2012

The situation is definitely stressful. If you are worried about interviewing, hit up an interviewing workshop. They have them at churches, community centers, libraries, unemployment, etc. If you are just feeling stressed in general, grab the family and go bowling, to a park, museum, etc. Just get out of the house and have some fun.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

Keeping all the balls in the air with kids at home is hard, I won't kid you. There are times when the choices have been brutal, when no matter which choice I make, I've felt like I was letting someone down, and it stinks.

But that's the price we pay for living as adults. Sometimes something's got to give.

As to the job hunt, think of it not as a situation of "whill they like me??" but as an opportunity for you to find the job that will be the right fit. The right job will mean fewer financial pressures at home. And it will give you the opportunity to do what you've always known you wanted to do: teach. That job is out there. I've found mine, now you just have to find yours. So be patitent, kiss a frog or two, and you'll find your prince.

5. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

Jun 4, 2012

This sounds so silly and even a litle bit embarrassing, but I give myself certain periods of time to worry. I don't want to constantly stress about something, but I also know that I can't put the stressor out of my mind completely.

So, I give myself a certain time to stress. Maybe an hour on Tuesday, and that way, I have the whole weekend to relax and tell myself, "I'm not going to worry about it until Tuesday."

I know it may sound ridiculous, but it works for me!

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 4, 2012

Thank you. That getting out of the house advice is a good one. It is too easy to get obsessed and depressed during the job hunt!

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 4, 2012

That is a great idea. I need to compartmentalize my thinking more. Not just with worrying, but with work itself. I have a hard time leaving work at work or even waiting until my kids will be in bed, because my mind just keeps going about school stuff. It really can take over your life if you aren't careful!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 4, 2012

Thanks, Alice! Yeah, juggling stinks when all the balls fall down on your head. I am committed to doing a better job of setting limits on work next time...blocking off chunks of time and keeping to a schedule at home, for example.

Hopefully more positions will open up...there are only three within driving distance of my house right now. But a lot of towns haven't passed their budgets yet....

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

Keep at it and eventually you will find a good fit for you. It might take some time, especially in this economy, but do what you need and don't be afraid to be a little pushy.

10. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 4, 2012

I too am in the hunt and understand the frustration/depression that comes along with it. I try to do something for myself and make sure to keep busy, but that is just the type of person I am, I need to stay busy. With summer here, there are lots of activities you can do with the kids to stay busy, but also make sure you are keeping up with what is going on, such as: has your state made the change to common core standards - if so, look them up, as well as different ways to present your material to the students. I got some great ideas just looking around here on AtoZ.

It's still early in the hiring season. I'm told by so many they got hired right before or after school started. It's tough not to worry, want to chase down principals at the grocery store, etc, but the job will come. Good luck!!

11. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 4, 2012

I was a stay-at-home mom for 8 years. I just returned to teaching. I have been pink slipped twice, but I'm hoping this last pink slip will be rescinded.