Dealing with the heat!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Marci07, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 29, 2010

The school where I'm going to start teaching has no AC. I'm going to be in the 3rd floor on the side of the building that I was told that gets the hottest. I've been working in my classroom for the last couple of days but the temperature hasn't been that bad.

I still have a lot of stuff to do in my classroom before Wednesday, which is the day we are to start, so I'm going tomorrow to finish setting up my classroom. The problem is that tomorrow is expected to be really hot and I'm having a panic attack over the heat. I know that during September we shouldn't have that many hot days but just the thought of dealing with so much heat is taking my anxiety levels to the maximum. :dizzy::dizzy:

3. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 29, 2010

get one standing fan and one small fan for your desk

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 29, 2010

I have my fan ready but the humidity can be really bad here in Chicago.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

Good luck! I am in NE Ohio and we are expecting a week of 90+ days. I know how awful it is with no AC.

Just remember that everyone's nerves get frayed (sp?) when it's uncomfortable. Take it easy and don't expect a lot of enthusiasm from your overheated students.

Oh, and drink lots of water.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

We're going through heat wave #8 for the season. Lots of heavy duty fans and keep the lights off! I teach on the 3rd floor in the city so I know how you feel!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 29, 2010

I hear ya. It's the humidity that's killer. My classroom is in the basement, so it doesn't get quite as hot as the upper floors, but the humidity can be oppressive. We have dehumidfiers in our classrooms, but they give off a lot of heat, so it doesn't make the room any more comfortable. Fans and water (and encouraging the kids to bring water bottles) are the only ways I've found to make it more bearable.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 29, 2010

I agree with keeping the lights off. Even if they are the type that don't generate any heat you'll somehow feel cooler with them off. I did this in my class in June when our AC was on the fritz and it seemed to help. And hydration is a must.

9. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Since your anxiety level is at the highest, bring it down by buying a 20" industrial strength fan at Home Depot or Lowes.

I have one and even on the hottest and most humid days, it moves an impressive amount of air to keep your temperature under control.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I also make sure when our AC goes out that I close the blinds and turn out the lights. We work in the dark quite a bit. I talk to the kids about how when they remain calmer, they will remain cooler. Sometimes outside might be better than remaining inside... if that's true, move class outside :)

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

You are lucky in my mind, you at least don't have to teach in the heat tomorrow. We have been in school for two weeks and it has been awful. I am expecting tomorrow to be horrible also, and I am in the hottest room in the building. One thing I would recommend is getting a fan to put in the window. The custodian got one for me at Home Depot for 20 bucks and it is a lifesaver. As long as you constantly have a fan on you, it isn't too bad. And tomorrow and Tuesday aren't supposed to be that humid. Good luck:)

12. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Gatorade. When it's really hot, water isn't enough for me. No matter how much I drink I get a headache. Gatorade helps.

Try to only wear one layer, if possible. Dresses are awesome for hot weather.

Open the windows and pull the shades down as soon as you get in; then you'll get some of the cooler morning air. If there's a breeze open the shades just enough to let it in.

Pack watermelon or other fruit for your lunch. On hot days that's about the only thing I can stomach.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

My classroom has been pretty hot and humid the first week but I am outside in Fla. We had 50+ days in a row of 90 or above.
    But amazingly, today feels almost (i said almost) like fall.
    Nice breeze and some clouds. there is a God...........

14. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 30, 2010

No A/C in classrooms? Even the schools that I went to (many years ago had A/C). Very odd to me??

15. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

It wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be. I opened all windows, set my shades down, and turn my fan on. I tried this morning to get the 20 in industrial fan from homedepot but they were out. I got a standing one instead. The wind was blowing and kept me cool for the most part.

I drank a gatorade and a lot of water but at the end of the day on my way home I started to get a headache. I still have one right now. I don't think water was just enough.

I'm pretty much done decorating my room so I don't think I'll show up tomorrow, which seems to be hotter than today.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Dovian, I'm going to prepare better next time following your suggestions.

16. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Specialedman, many schools in the Northeast (and I'm guessing also Chicagoland - probably anyplace where there are actual seasons and snow in the winter) have no A/C, especially if they were built before 1980, as mine was.

Marci, my last ditch is I keep Excedrin in my desk :) If it's just too hot I'll take one before I head home and it helps ward off the headache. One more thing to try, if you drive, is to resist the urge to crank up the air as soon as you get out of the building - I find that makes a headache worse. If I just put the car windows down it's not so bad.

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2010

Very common here.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2010

For the kids, write with ice on shaded sidewalk (spelling words or math facts?).

One teacher fills a cooler with ice and sets it in front of the fan. His room was a few degrees cooler than mine.