Dealing with Tardies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher304, Dec 28, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Dec 28, 2011

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with students coming in late to first period class. My school is a magnet school in NYC and students are traveling from different boroughs, but it is quite disruptive for someone to walk in every five minutes. The school has no uniform policy on tardiness and leave it to the individual teachers to handle. Any advice?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

I'd probably handle it through parent contact and detention. How frustrating that the school doesn't have a tardy policy!

4. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

Could you do 3 tardies = a Detention and the next one is a referral?

Or maybe even 1 lateness = a detention.

5. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

I'd do both positive and negative reinforcement. I'd do _# of tardies = detention, and some kind of activity that takes place in the first 5 minutes of class, and is worth participation points towards grades.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

We use three tardies is a detention give by the classroom teacher.

I have students coming and going during lessons, I've learned to write down lots of things and I refuse to repeat the directions. I type out my assignments and give students a paper copy or I display it on the board. I write out page numbers and expectations on the board. This eliminates much of the disruption from the students who are coming in or leaving during a lesson.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

Tardies are extremely disruptive. We have a tardy policy but it has become laughable after just a couple of months. Kids don't care if they're tardy - it just means they got extra time in a holding room with their friends. Some even try to be late so they can miss bellwork in their classes.

Because it is a school-wide policy, any consequences have to be given by the administrators. So I cannot make students stay for detention.

I have done a few things that help for a little while but I can't do them every day so it isn't a fix-all.

I have given quizzes at the very start of the period. Unexcused tardies and absences do not get make-up work. So this is a zero for those students. I have a one-time pass for a student to drop a quiz or lab so this shouldn't be a permanent impact on them. but instead it should be a clear warning. Downfall is that the students that are habitually late don't care about their grades and are unlikely to have earned/kept the pass.

I have also started a fun lab or activity. Late students get to sit in the back of the room and work on bookwork or a report. This makes the message clear but it causes me to have two lesson plans ready for almost every day. Not my idea of fun.

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

My husband grew up in NYC and took three buses to get to school and was never late. With the incredible public transportation available in that city, there should be no excuse for habitual tardiness. The students are choosing not to organize their time or make school promptness a priority.

I would follow the previous advice and issue detentions and further discipline. In addition, a couple of times a week at the start of class, I would have a quiz on the previous day's material worth points that cannot be made up.

I would also refuse to repeat directions and instructions the students missed.

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 29, 2011

I teach an advanced class before school two times a week and students are constantly coming in late. It drives me nuts because they miss many of the lessons and then they're lost. This is what I've tried and it's working so far:

If student doesn't understand content because of missing lesson due to tardiness, then I will not provide extra help, it's the student's responsibility to catch up.

Students with constant tardies and absences don't qualify for retakes.

I check homework during the first 5 minutes of class and I review homework during the first 10 minutes. If a student is late and has problems with the homework I won't review it again. Also, homework will be considered late if not shown during the first 5 minutes of class.

When a student is late during a test or quiz I don't allow the student for extra time without deducting 10 pts. from their score for being late.