Dealing with death

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 9, 2012

I'm a pre-k teacher who will soon be dealing with her father's death from leukemia. He is coming home this week (he lives with me), and he has been given at most a few months. I'm not his primary caregiver, but I'll be taking some time off to spend time with him, the funeral, then helping my mother cope. While I'm devastated, of course, I'm thinking ahead to what to tell students. My students have just been through 6 weeks without our assistant because she had surgery. They know my dad was sick and that Miss J. was sad at times because her mom and dad were far away getting medicine at a hospital (chemo). They know I spent almost a week away when we had a death scare before. I'm not worried about their curriculum--my assistant taught the class before I was hired, and they've become attached to the floater who was with our class for 6 weeks. I guess I'm just worried about what to tell them that won't tramatize them. Help?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

With prognosis of a few months, school may be out for the summer before you have to deal with the passing of your father. Try as much as you can to concentrate on the kids' happiness, needs and progress...sometimes school can be a great respite when going through stressful situations...you teach little ones. I wouldn't be sharing too much information at this point.
    God bless and prayers for your family.:love:

4. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

First, I would like to say how sorry I am about your dad. I know how hard it can be to see a parent in so much pain. I lost my father 4 years ago to cancer. When my dad was on his death bed, school was my outlet where I could escape from what was happening to him. I didn't really tell anyone at school what was happening because I needed to focus on the kids and not what was happening in my personal life. Since I live in a small community, my co-workers would say I heard about your dad and would offer their sympathies. But, I think they respected how I was handling it and not bringing my grief to work. My dad passed away the Monday before school was out, so I took the rest of the school year off, and I am not sure what my co-workers said to the kids. Death is a very hard concept for kids to understand. When my dad died, my niece was only 2, so my sister told her that grandpa was up with the angels, and left it at that. I really hope for the best, and you and your family will be in my prayers.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2012

So sorry to hear about your dad... please make sure to take some time for yourself as well!!! I know with you knowing what will be coming in the next few months you can get things prepared... I know sounds awful, but for you better in the long run. Our family just dealt with my gpa and gma dying months apart from one another. I know after my gpa passed we were already planning for my gma...not to be morbid, but to not feel that extra pressure making decisions during such an emotional time.

I have a book called Water Bugs and Dragonflies Explaining death to young children by Doris Stickney. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but something you could check out. Like CZA said you may be out of school... so concentrate on the days you have with them and your dad!!!

Hugs and prayers to your family!!!

6. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Apr 15, 2012

((((HUGS)))) So sorry to hear about your dad. I would not worry about the kids at all, to be honest. It seems like your assistant is perfectly capable of handling the class if you do need to take leave.

If they have questions as to why you're gone, I'm sure your assistant will handle them in an age appropriate way (through books, discussion etc)

You need to just focus on you and your family.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2012

Big, big hugs. I lost my mother-in-law to leukemia, so it always hurts to hear that anyone else has to cope with such an illness and loss. :(

I also wouldn't worry about the children given that you have capable colleagues.

People suggested that my husband and I do things to "get away" from her illness every now and again. We took their advice and after spending the day with her, we went to a baseball game. But you know what? That was fine and all, but I would have rather just spent more time with her. It was the last day I recall her being able to speak to us.

Soak it in all in. Do what you can elsewhere in your life, but don't feel guilty making your father and your relationship a priority.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 16, 2012

I am so sorry to hear about your father.

I have used a book called Grandfather Dies for my own kids.