Dealing with death

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgurl85, May 17, 2011.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 17, 2011

I know this is not ahppy post to read but I am looking for some suggestions. The mother of one of my students passed away after a long battle with leukemia. He has missed 3 weeks of school (2 leading up to it, and 1 after). Yesterday he came back and was smiling and happy. Today he had a hard time and was very upset. I have gone about, business as usual but I want to help him get through this. I just don't know what to say to him and I don't want to bring it up. How have you helped a student dealing with this issue?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2011

To be honest... I think I would really just l let him know that you're there for him & understand there will be good/bad days. I would also ask the dad to let you know how he's been doing... maybe an email & I think as a dad/mom it would be nice to know how the day went for the child as well.

I'm going by when my friends lost their mother... they went to school the next day because they wanted to be the ones to tell their friends.

Hugs for both of you!!!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

May 20, 2011

We are going through the same thing at our school. However, it's been a year long process (she wasn't expected to make it to Christmas) and so we've taken the girls out many times so the dad can get some things done and so the girls can get out of the house.
    The mom just passed the Friday before Mother's Day. As for at school, we have just let the girls know we are there and they can always talk to us.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 20, 2011

We are dealing with a similar situation. A student's stepfather (who had been his stepfather for 3 or 4 years) and his mother decided to separate. A month or so back the stepfather killed himself. The student and his younger brother are the ones who found him. (He had shot himself.) We think the older student kept the little one from seeing anything, but he (the older) has had a lot of problems. He was very close to his stepfather. (Stepdad was the one to come into school to talk to teachers and he came and did a presentation for us in 4H.) The last 2 weeks of school he was here, but he had up and down days. I didn't mention what had happened (he's in 5th now) I just hugged him and told him how glad I was to see him back at school. He's had days where he goes around doing "errands" (carrying blank notes - but he doesn't know they are blank) to let him get out of the room for a little while.