Dealing with a very hot classroom

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Nick_A, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Nick_A

Nick_A Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I just got back from spending a few hours at school, setting up some stuff in my room, when I discovered that the air-conditioning is not functioning in my room. Each room in our school has its own individual unit, connected to the same system. So, the AC is working in the rest of the building, but my room. :mad:

I'm up on the third floor, and you all know about how heat rises. Needless to say, it's very, very hot in my classroom right now, and there are only three windows.

I told the powers that be about the problem, but I'm worried it won't be fixed before school starts. Have any of you had to deal with a terribly hot classroom? What did you do? I'm thinking of allowing water bottles, until the AC is fixed, only because I don't want a parade of students going to the water fountain all day. Any thoughts?

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

At the end of last year i kept the shades shut and the lights off whenever possible, as we also have no Ac...fans on high as well.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

I'd invest in a few high-powered oscillating fans and place them in the corners of the room, all pointing towards the center.

Keep the shades closed at all times. Get shades if you don't already have them.

Keep your door open to the hallway if that's allowed and if the hallway is cooler. Consider positioning a fan in the doorway to pull in cool air.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

Mine was out for a few days before school, miraculously on for Back-to-School night, then out for the first two days of school. It was horrible. I used two fans and kept the door open. Didn't help much.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Fans, blinds closed, lights off...we don't have air conditioning in our elementary schools--May, June and September can be pretty brutal!

7. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Well, my A.C. was working until yesterday when I went into my room. It gets terribly hot here (in the 100's) and I was miserable! I emailed both my principal and the janitor, so we'll see what happens. I have one week before school starts. I doubt anything will happen before school starts, so I will have to borrow some fans. I refuse to spend MY money on fans because my dang school district won't fix the A.C. in a timely manner.

8. Nick_A

Nick_A Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Thanks for all of your replies. Like, I said, I'm not holding out hope that it will be fixed by the time school begins. I emailed my principal, who told me to contact maintenance, as there was nothing she could do. When I contacted the head custodian, he said I needed to fill out a work order before they could even look at it. Bureaucracy at its finest!

Anyway, my local Target is having a sale on those big box fans (probably for all the kids going off to college in the next couple of weeks), so I'm going to buy a few of those in the meantime, and you can bet I'll be submitting those receipts for reimbursement.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

Talk to people in person for the best results.

They won't have an excuse they didn't know about the problem.

Go in first thing tomorrow morning. The Wheel That Squeaks Gets Greese.

10. cjven

cjven Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Our school is not air conditioned but every room as two fans. We allow the students to have water bottles and it is a good idea to take frequent breaks to let them stretch and walk around a bit. I know it is really hard to concentrate when it is so hot!!