dealines: RIFF, contract renewal, etc. How does it work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

I'm just a little confused. I'm in California, so I know this might be different in other states.

Based on what I know March 15 is the deadline for pink slips. So this is due to budgets, saying that you might not have a job next year. What about if someone doesn't get renewed? I'm sure there's a deadline for that.

My P said my spring evaluation has to be sometime in March, and we're scheduling it for the week of the 24th because she's been crazy busy. This is after the 15th, but does that even matter? This is where I'm confused.
    When do they have to tell me if I'm not renewed?

I really shouldn't worry, I asked my P a long time ago, and she said not to worry, but somehow I am, a little. I am a bit of a superstitious person, so I feel like it's better to worry and then it works out, than to be confident and then be in shock. We're having talks about how I can be better with classroom management, and she always tells me not to take it defensively, she wants me to learn, and that no one can do this in 1 year, especially in alternative ed, it takes about 3-5 years to be really great. So I take that as good, I just don't want to be ignoring signs.
    I don't know, I guess I'm just airing my concerns, lol and there isn't really an answer.

Last year I got my contract renewed in the middle of May, so do you all know if there is a deadline for that?
    I guess I just want to know when I can relax a bit, because I'm feeling the stress, and I know it's because of this.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

If you were going to be non-renewed, you would have gotten some serious red flags by now. I've worked in two states, and at least in the districts I worked in, the non-renewal deadline in both was April 30.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

Here, it's May 1 for non-tenured.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

I really don't think I'm not renewed, but I do worry about this, because I moved 6 hours away and left my life behind for this job. And I love my job, even though the kids are very challenging.

I don't know how they would fill my position anyways. We've had an open math position since October, they had interviews twice and nothing came of it. My P always says that she loves the way I teach, she loves my lessons, and that I have continuity with my lessons, in November I know what I will be teaching in March, etc, and that most 1st year teachers have no idea about this. (this was news to me). It's the classroom management that is hard, mostly the part where you decide if you should hold the kid to the same standards as the others, or should I cut him some slack because his mom passed away, his dad is in jail and he's sort of on his own and feels lost. Or that he's 15, his mom is terminally ill, going n and out intensive care and the kid doesn't know how to deal with it. The problem is 90 % of our kids are struggling with things often adults can't deal with, so where do you draw the line of "it's enough", or "let me help you". I guess that is my issue.
    Btw my P is awesome, I feel like she's spending a lot of time with me (and sent me to another school to observe twice, and last year I observed our teachers) because she's sort of investing her time in me, she wants me to be the best I can be, because she wants to keep me around.
    She said my strengths are: teachnig (lessons, design and implementing) and the connection I have with the kids, so I should use those to my benefit. She also said people are at this school for the right or the wrong reasons (paycheck, more leeway with curriculum, etc), and she said she knows I'm there for the right reason.

So I take this as not red flags, but I can't really relax until I have my contract.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

Here, there is no contract renewal to sign. Basically, you go online in March and declare your intent for next year (return to the district, retire, leave the district). If you're tenured and you want to come back, your school has to keep you unless you attend the transfer fair or they surplus your position. If they want to fire you, its a long process that must be complete by May 1.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

I'm non-tenured though. This is my first year (we have 2 years before tenure). My P also said the big decision comes before the tenure, because that's when they decide to keep you for good. I guess I'll be even more stressed next year.
    I think I'm just creating all this stress myself, without reason. So someone please calm me down :)

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 15, 2014

In California, a first year probationary teacher can be non-renewed up until the last day of that school year. (Sorry, as I know you are a worrier, Linguist. Everything you say tells me you will be fine.)

A second year probationary teacher needs to receive notification of non-renewal by March 15th.

If a district thinks they may need to lay people off for budget reasons, those people need to be notified by March 15th as well.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 15, 2014

Interesting. I actually thought it was supposed to be by March 15 both years. My principal made sure all our observations and evaluations were done by that date last year and this year.

However, I'm guessing your principal has absolutely no intention of non renewing you - it certainly seems that way from what you're saying - which might be why she's fine with observing you after the deadline.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

Thank you, that makes sense. But to be non-renewed any day? I thought once you have your contract, it wouldn't be as easy as to say 'you're gone'. I thought there would be more of a process, but I guess probationary means every day is a possibility.

I even decided that I want to bring in a small fridge (like the ones they use in dorms) and a microwave in my classroom, but I just can't do it until I have a contract, otherwise I jinx it. I know, I'm crazy :)

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

My first school there was no deadline for nonrenewal. He literally found out the last day (teacher workday) he was being non-renewed. There were zero warning signs for most people who were non-renewed. Some found out earlier than others though. It was an awful work situation.

I'm not sure what the deadline is where I'm at now. We just signed intent letters this week.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

That sounds awful. That shows the signs of an inconsiderate administrator. My P said non-renewing teachers is very tough, because you're messing with their personal lives, you're taking away their means of living, negatively affecting their career, etc. Even if they did it to themselves, if feels like such a burden, because you're the one who's making the decision, and you must question yourself if you're absolutely right about this.
    That is a sign of a P who cares.
    At least I would like some notice so I can find another job, I thought that's why they have deadlines, so that it's fair. If a teacher does something really bad and gets fired on the spot, he doesn't need notice (think about hurting a child, etc), but if they're just not good enough, even if they try, they deserve a little more)

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 15, 2014

Here in NJ, it's 5/15. If we aren't notified by that day, we are automatically renewed for the following year. My district has a huge budget shortfall and I'm non-tenured so I'm sweating it a bit. I wish the date was earlier. I hate waiting 2 more months and also many districts start hiring before then.

Good luck to you.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

That's why its May 1 here (for non-tenured teachers) so they can start looking for another job. When you've been non-renewed, you can't work in the district anymore; but, a non-renewal may make it hard to get hired somewhere else because it means you've been fired.

My Admin has already told 2 people they won't be returning although their contract runs until June 30 and they can't take another teaching position in another district until after then.

15. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 15, 2014

Linguist,

I am a teacher in California as well. The deadline for the first notice of RIF (Reduction in Force) is March 15th otherwise you could challenge it against the district who sends you a notice after this date. I think it has to be postmarked by March 15th.

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 15, 2014

Speaking of California RIFs, I did a little looking around and it looks like the numbers are way down this year. Over 20,000 notices were sent in both March 2011 and 2012, then about 3400 were sent out last year and this year it is looking as if the number sent is around 1000. I don't think my district sent out any.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, Linguist.

The deadline for non-renewals and pink slips is March 15th (here in California).

We had to go through the non-renewal process with one of our teachers. We let him know on February 28th (though I'm sure he saw it coming...he had to have seen the red flags). :(

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 15, 2014

My California district non-renewed quite a few Prob 1 teachers last year on May 28th. I was surprised and looked into it and it is within CA Ed Code to do so. I'm also sure Linguist is fine, but don't want other California teachers to be confused as to what is legally allowable as far as non-renewal deadlines go.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I feel a little better. Today my P asked me if I want to teach summer school. We don't know where I am on the seniority list, but she wanted to know, because we also have training I signed up for (she already asked about that a month ago, so that was also a good sign)

I didn't want to teach summer school because I didn't want to tie myself down, I'd rather sub, but since she asked, I'll say yes. I will just need to take off for 3 days for the training, so if I want, I can still go to Europe in July. And the extra paycheck will also be nice. :)

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

See...I knew you had nothing to worry about!!! :hugs:

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2014

I'm in a new position this year in a new district so I had no idea what to expect. We have an evaluation meeting with the director next week. It's been a year of the learning curve for sure, but I feel pretty good about this meeting.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2014

Lin~glad you're feeling better about everything!! Are you visiting Hungary?