De-Cluttering Your Current Classroom Ideas?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AspieTeacher, Jun 27, 2013.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

Ok, I know I have overdone this post the most but I see a lot of this type for general education teachers, but I haven't seen any bloggers for "de-cluttering for a special education setting" yet. I want this to be a discussion of what you do to "de-clutter" your room? What are your steps? Do you write down things and plan before you actually hit the shelves, closets, desks, ect. ? What do you do to get ready so that you can stay "focused" on finishing your project so that you can finally set up your classroom for instruction (preferably self-contained) special education settings. Since last Friday, I have just went through some of my closets but I start to get overwhelmed and it's hard for me to focus at times. I think it may be because I have TOO MANY materials that have no use in my current teaching setting. Please share what you do to prepare yourself to help you get ready to organize and set up your room. So far, I have actually gotten rid of the boxes for most of my teaching materials and placed them into baggies with labels and put the baggies into baskets or trays with similar task ideas (academic, vocational, daily living, community, ect.) I label the front of the basket or tray as well. I found at least 7 different pocket charts that I haven't used in the past 2 years (shame on me). I need quick access to materials so that my students don't lose their focus. I currently teach in a multi-disabled classroom with an emphasis on autistic spectrum disorders at the moderate/severe functional level. I also work at a local high school in the city where I reside.

blessings,

Troy

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2013

I teach in a regular ed setting, but I have a serious organization issue. (My co-worker is pushing me hard and getting me there. lol) I was a little brutal last year and things that I just don't use had to go away. I couldn't save things on the off chance that I would need them in the future. Group like things together as much as possible. Things that you don't use often, put high or behind, under, etc. If you haven't, check out Pinterest and look for special ed classroom designs. I get a lot of organizational ideas from there. Good luck!!!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 27, 2013

Well, going from preschool to HS SPE, I'm not sure what I WILL or WILL NOT need in my new room. I do need to go through every cabinet and find out where everything is. I did de-clutter the old crap from my preschool classroom for the new teacher coming in. I'm sure she will find more to ditch later.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

The key to organization is to not be afraid to throw things away (or donate them in the lounge) - and I'm not. As far as getting the work DONE, I had a 1:1 last year that wanted to do everything but her job, so I put her to work cleaning and organizing FOR me. She did that job pretty well. As far as sticking to your guns and getting things done - ha - no magic pill for that. That's something I'm not very good at. ;)

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

I put everything in a big pile and start giving it away or throwing it away. I have tried to keep very very few things, especially since I will be sharing my room with another teacher next year.

Basically if we don't touch it on a daily or weekly basis, I don't need it.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 29, 2013

Oh wow... I'd be tossing 80% of my stuff. :eek: Granted, I have stuff that I know I haven't used in 5 years because YOU NEVER KNOW... :rolleyes:

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 29, 2013

9. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jul 1, 2013

I teach in a self-contained classroom for student with multiple, severe disabilities. I am the queen of clutter! I let clutter build up to a certain point and then I just can't bear it any longer and get in cleaning mode. Here's my method... I go around the room and every item that is out of place or "doesn't have a home" gets put on the table in the middle of my classroom. I then start the long process of putting everything away, back in it's place. I try to keep things separated by it's function. Storage space is limited in my room but I do have 1 large storage closet and several cabinets and I try to make it clear what those closets/cabinets are for... art materials in one closet, books/extra games/puzzles in one cabinet, etc. As I work on putting things away, I may open a cabinet to find something else that doesn't belong or needs to be organized, so I pile those on the table too. lol If it's on the table it HAS to be put away where it belongs because it can't stay on the table. :) This is how I clean at home too. Everything out of place gets piled on my bed, so it has to be put away before I can sleep that night! :)

I have a shelving unit where I keep all of our work materials that we use on a daily basis. I've been in the same room for 8 years now and it's still a work in progress. I'm constantly trying to think how I can arrange things more functionally. And, I'm like a lot of other teachers, it's hard for me to get rid of things... but if I haven't used it in 5 years, it SHOULD go bye-bye (but sometimes I justify why I should keep it!)