DC interview lesson help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dunwool, Jul 11, 2009.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I have an interview with DC public schools in the middle of next week and I am a recent college graduate from the west coast. I am super nervous!

Part of the interview is teaching a 15 minute mini-lesson. The nice thing is that it can be on the content area of my choice but I feel like everything I do is more than 15 minutes! Do you guys have any ideas for what I can do to wow the panelists (there will be 3 interviewing and participating)?

Thanks for any help!

3. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I would suggest using a cooperative learning strategy (it is VERY good for urban students) and teaching something integrated (like social studies paired with writing or speaking or something like that) by using the strategy. You could make the panelists be your students and involve them in the cooperative learning activity--that would be great! Look up some Kagan strategies like match mine, line up, round robin, etc. Best wishes!

A thinking map would be great also, if you have been trained in those--but seriously I think using a cooperative learning strategy would be really impressive. You could do a quick activity with the strategy and it would not go over your time.

4. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

WOW! Thanks for those great tips!

My only concern with doing some kind of "group" cooperative learning activity is that I am under the impression there is only 2 panel members doing the interview. How could I integrate cooperative learning with so few participants? I love the inter-disciplinary idea! I was thinking social studies with writing so that would fit perfect!