Daylight Savings TIme

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WindyCityGal606, Mar 7, 2009.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

We will be setting our clocks ahead one hour at 2am tomorrow. I am never happy to give up an hour of my life especially during what is still part of my Saturday night (LOL) but I suppose I'll have to manage. Sigh!!
    Are you affected by the time change and if so, what will you be giving up during this hour?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

I'm with you Zoe! I'll just get up earlier. I hate losing that hour.

For some reason I get annoyed by all the people who tell me to remember to turn my clock. I expect it from the local news but it annoys me when the nurse at the dentist office reminds me or the guy at Wal-Mart. I know I'm weird but I think as an adult we should be aware of those things.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 7, 2009

Thanks for the reminder. I told my students not to forget yesterday and here I go and forget:blush:.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

Have you ever totally forgotten? I think there were a couple times when it maybe got to be 9:00 and I remembered but never past that.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 7, 2009

I don't watch the news really so if people didn't tell me, I wouldn't know. I rarely watch live t.v. of any kind. I'll catch things in the newspaper (occasionally), on this chatboard, on the google page or through word of mouth but I rarely watch the actual news.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

If I leave at 6:15 AM, half of my 14 mile bike ride will be in the dark.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

I hate time change. It messes me up for a good week or two.

My acting coach called and reminded everyone since we have class at 12:30 tomorrow. I was kind of glad - I remembered, but there are some flighty people in my class.

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Mar 7, 2009

Time changes never bothered me before, but they do throw off my son's schedule. He's only 14 months, so the extra hour really messes him up... and means even less sleep for this mom. :(

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

It takes about a week to get readjusted to the loss of the hour. I hate to give up the hour of sleep--especially since I have to get up at 5:00 a.m. every morning for school.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 7, 2009

Time changes never bothered my kids...they they wake up when their bodies tell them it's time to do so. What the clock says makes not one bit of difference to them. Of course, that means that when they were toddlers and got up at 6:30am, I had to suffer through springs and summers waking up at 5:30. They just would NOT adjust to what the clock said *sigh*. I'm hoping this year, now that the little one is a bit older, that they'll sleep in a bit. I just put them to bed, and it's 11:30pm (before the switch).

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

And that can be very dangerous....... riding in the dark that is.....

BTW, I've been shopping for bike..... The one's in my health club just don't seem to go very far........:lol:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

Let's just say it wasn't pleasant getting my kids up for 9 am mass today, and leave it at that.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

Actually, with the right lights I actually feel safer. Fewer cars on the road and I'm not camouflaged by the sun like an FW190 going after a B-17.

The problem is actually seeing in front of me. There's a lot of junk alongside the road - rocks, construction debris, boat anchors etc - that would ruin my day if I were to hit it. And they don't really make a bike light that's good for dodging potholes at 20 mph (that doesn't cost $300).

If you're shopping for a bike, consider used. Used bikes are not like used cars. Nobody is selling their Toyota corolla for a fraction of what it's worth because they bought it in 1990 and parked it in their garage and never drove it. But tons of people sell bikes for a fraction of their value because they bought them to get in shape and only rode them a few times.

Just make sure everything spins and turns smoothly in the direction that it's supposed to and doesn't wobble in any direction it's not, and that the frame is free of dents and rust and the wheels don't wobble from side to side more than a millimeter or two. They should not "hop" when you spin them either. Make sure you can adjust the seat and handlebar height too. Those parts often get permanently stuck on old bikes.

Finally, avoid any bike that came from a department store. Those brands are Next, Magna, Motiv, Roadmaster, Sears, Huffy, any name that's a car brand as well, and some Schwinns and Mongooses.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

What's a good bike for a little 5 year old? I want to get our grandson a new bike this summer. Is it okay to just get one at Target or Wal Mart? Does it really matter since he won't be doing any "serious" riding?

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 8, 2009

Time changes don't affect me in a negative way & I don't feel it, but I just HATE changing all my clocks, watches, & phone answering machine! My computers & DVR change on their own, but I still have wall clocks, answering machine & several wristwatches! :mad:

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

With 5 year olds, any bike is fine. But when he's 9, that's a whole different story.

As soon as he is big enough, he should graduate to a bike with 24" wheels. BMX sized bikes are fun, but 10 year olds should not be using them to go back and forth to school.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

And Grammy, don't forget the helmet!!

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 8, 2009

Sarge...I'm starting a new post on bikes :D.

20. Kase

Kase Companion

Mar 8, 2009

Yay now it's still going to be light out when I get off work. Woo Hoo!

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 8, 2009

Me too. Five a.m. is not going to look pretty tomorrow! Hopefully I'll be asleep tonight by 10:30 at the latest and then it won't be too bad. But if I'm still awake at 11, eeeeekkkkkk!

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

I had a great sleep last night
    went to bed reg time got up reg time
    no problems

BTW in Arizona we don't do DST

23. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

The bike shop I use told me they make good money adjusting, replacing parts, and fixing bikes that Sarge listed in his posting.

They look decent in the store and seem to have a good price tag, but they are poorly made and assembled.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

I hate this time! :D
    I really do...my son just got home (5:00) and has been napping...he never naps!!!! ok; that's an hour and a half already...I better get off line and get him up! :p

25. WindyCityGal606

Mar 8, 2009

I had to take a nap from 4:15 to 5:45. I was exhausted all day. This, from a person who never naps....ever.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

so even though my acting coach called us all, 2 people STILL forgot and were late. geez!

27. WindyCityGal606

Mar 8, 2009

Oh tomorrow is going to be fun. We take the last part of our state standardized tests. Great!

28. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 8, 2009

My thoughts exactly. I feel like I haven't seen the sun in months because I spend so much time in the dark. And now I can go back to walking. What has been happening since the winter time change is that it was too dark to walk. I got off of work at 4:25, get home about 5:00, sit down for a few minutes, changes clothes and it was already getting dark and I didn't want to be walking around in the dark with an iPod on. But now, I can get back started. And not a moment too soon.

But I hate losing the hour in the morning. I am NOT a morning person, so this just makes the situation worse.