Daycare

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by FarFromHome, Jun 9, 2014.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2014

I need help emotionally preparing to send my son to daycare! My baby is only 1 month old, but I'm already dreading sending him to daycare in August. I want to stay home with him so bad, but we just can't afford it. We're considering having my husband stay home. I would definitely prefer that over daycare, but I'm worried I'll be really jealous. (My husband is getting paid to go to school-military GI bill-and has only been working part time while going to school.) My son will be 12.5 weeks when I have to start work, and I just think about it constantly!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2014

If it works with your dh staying with your baby, do it...it's not about being jealous or not...it's about your baby being at home with someone who loves him.:2cents:

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2014

Yes, I definitely will have him stay home if we can. I think the idea is a little tough for him, because he thinks he should be working to support us. And he worries about what people might think. But I think stay at home dads are becoming a lot more common now.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2014

Whatever route you choose, it will become routine. My oldest started daycare at 5 months, but I was so busy in the classroom all day it really kept my mind off things. My youngest started daycare at 8 weeks. We were lucky to have the exact same teachers as her sister. I wasn't nervous at all about her starting so young because I knew what great hands she was in! My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall and only has two more weeks of daycare. I'm actually a little sad because they have been so great!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 9, 2014

I understand your feelings. It can feel really wrong to leave your baby. But, as long as you know he will be well cared-for, you will be able to live with it. I don't see how anyone could be as good for him as his own father, as long as your husband is really sure that he wants to do that.

7. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jun 9, 2014

Having your husband stay home sounds like a great option if you can swing it.

If you do send him to daycare, definitely take your time picking the right one and definitely spend some time observing in a classroom, especially the interactions between the caregivers and the little ones, and ask about employee turnover. Family/home daycares are also fantastic options, especially for littler ones, because they get to have one consistent caregiver. I am not a parent yet, but having been on the other side as a daycare teacher, I understand how hard it is to leave your little one. Just make sure you are completely comfortable with the daycare you have chosen and it will be much easier to trust that your son is getting the love and care he needs. Not easy, but easier. :)

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2014

When our daughter was a baby I wasn't teaching yet. We worked out our schedules so that one of us was home with her. It was hard to do that, but it worked. I did have to quit one job because it was impossible for both of us to work weekends.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you everyone for the support and advice!

My new principal did tell me about a few in-home daycares in the area. I'll have to look into all of them if/when he has to go to daycare. I'm hoping my husband can stay home until the baby is at least 6 months.