daycare/preschool corporation issues.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by threesyeasy, Dec 24, 2009.

1. threesyeasy

threesyeasy Rookie

Dec 24, 2009

i realise it's christmas eve and all should be merry, but i had an awful day yesterday that i just cannot get off of my mind.

i am a preschool teacher, and usually work with 3 year olds, however i spent a bit of time in our 5 year old classroom after naptime yesterday. they woke from nap, had a snack, and i then read them a story while they sat incredibly nicely on the carpet (which i take a bit of credit for, as these kids used to be in my room and we work very hard with story time).

there is one child that has been at my center for two years now, i had him in my room and he was trouble from the first day he started. he slapped kids, threw fits, threw toys, he was just downright awful. for whatever reason i have a soft spot for all the bad children because i know theres got to be something going on at home for them to act this way, so i tried VERY hard to help him express his anger properly and help him learn POSITIVE ways to get attention--something that i can't imagine he gets at home, as his grandparents are raising them and well, theyre very strange, VERY rude people. the entire time he was in my room instead of referring to me by name, his grandma called me "the lady," though she obviously knew my name.

well this child is STILL acting out two years later, a few weeks ago he had a fit and threw scissors across the room, chairs across the room, etc...he still hits the other kids and throws toys at them (it's embarrassing because he even throws toys at parents and siblings in the room who are picking up children to leave)...yet he has not been kicked out of our center. hes gotten written up at least 50-75 times within these two years, if not more for doing dangerous things either to himself or other children.

well, i was reading a story and this difficult child refused to sit with the class on the carpet, which i ignored. he wasn't being disruptive so i chose to ignore it and pay attention to the other 19 children that were behaving. he then decided to get a baby blanket from our baby center and cover up a child's face with it while they were trying to pay attention to the story, then WHIPPED another child in the back of the head with the blanket. the other teacher who was in the room, who was cleaning up snack, walked over to him asking him to stop and was going to take the blanket, and he ran away from her, in front of our circle, towards me, and SLAPPED ME ACROSS MY FACE. he left a handprint that was there for at least an hour if not more.

our director called his grandma, who seemed surprised because of how much he likes me (he comes to my room every day to say goodbye to me and grandma has deemed me "his girlfriend"), yet she, like always, does nothing about him. she wasn't told to get him early, but it's only courteous to do so to keep everyone safe, don't you think? this child can do whatever he pleases, put the teachers and other children in danger, yet he won't be disenrolled from our center because we are part of a corporation and they would rather me and the other children be in danger than lose one measly child's tuition.

grandpa picked him up (i'm pretty sure grandma was embarassed and didn't want to face me), and only told him he wouldn't be riding his four wheeler that night because he got in trouble...first of all it's 20* if that at night here, and he gets picked up at 6PM as it is..second of all that is ALWAYS what they do when he gets in trouble, so it is OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING.

THE CHILD SLAPPED ME ACROSS MY FACE. sure i may not SEEM like a proper "teacher" because i look young, but they need to respect that I AM a teacher, and he slapped an ADULT.

i'm sure if i had pressed charges for assault grandma and grandpa would take it much more seriously. i just can't get it out of my head...in front of the entire class while i was trying to read to them, he ran up and slapped me, and everyone couldn't care less. since when is a family's money worth more than safety? it sickens me how incredibly greedy this daycare corporation is.

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 24, 2009

Wow! I cannot understand how or why your center would allow this for so long! money isn't everything and their first priority should be the well being of ALL, NOT the all mighty dollar. Has children and family services ever been involved with this family? If so, sounds like a follow up is in order, if not, they need to be. I would also suggest your Director give the grandparents a time limit to speak with the child's doctor and get some testing done. And that counseling, including a behavioral counselor should be consulted. Then put the child and grandparents on probation with specific expectations and goals with the understanding they would meet again (if he makes it to the end of the probation period) and decide if he could remain in the center. Sounds like this child needs specialized help and it's part of you and your Director's responsibility to see that he gets it. Neglecting emotional needs of a child is a form of abuse that needs to be taken seriously. If you didn't truly care and have a heart for this child as well as your decision to be a teacher, you would only be feeling anger and perhaps embarassment but it sounds like you really do care. I hope you can go back and have a heart to heart with your Director and gently remind her of the legal obligation you both have to taking action. God bless you as you strive to do what's best for that family.

4. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 24, 2009

What about the parents that could pull their children out of the center because it is an unsafe environment? Does your director realize that she/he could lose many more enrollments by not dealing with this appropriately? If money is the issue, perhaps it could be brought up that they would lose tuition if parents feel their children are not safe and decide to take them elsewhere.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 24, 2009

Wow, my GS was kicked out for biting, and we were working with the center on it.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 24, 2009

Wow. This center is failing in its major obligation to keep ALL its kids, AND its employees safe. People have sued their employers...and won, over less than what you have dealt with.

In addition to what everybody else has said, I'd be afraid of being personally named in a lawsuit when (not if) this child seriously hurts another child. I would put in my resigniation and make sure that they knew the reason why I resigned is because they failed to take appropriate measures and allowed a problem to escalate into assault. People are just so sue happy, that the potential in this situation would FAR outweigh any possible benefit from staying employed.

7. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Dec 25, 2009

Just horrible!

The child needs to be removed from the center. I am sure there is one or two parents who can rally and have the child removed or threaten to remove their own children. I would not suggest that you resign as that is not the best for you or the children in your class. Something has to be done!

8. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Dec 25, 2009

Forgot to add above. I also work for a daycare that is contracted out be a major corporation and it seems that teh director and admin put the parents wishes ahead of what is the best for everyone else because they are "scared" they will feel some kind of retaliation or something.

9. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Dec 25, 2009

I work in a similar place! They seem to be more concerned with $ than with a child/teacher. I have had pencils thrown at me, chairs, and toys; yet those children still remain in our center. We are not supposed to discuss "negative" things with our parents. So we are expected to lie to these parents and let the kids run wild?? It's crazy what some teachers are expected to put up with!

10. BeachTeacher61

BeachTeacher61 Rookie

Dec 29, 2009

This spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e on sooooo many levels. As a director, the most important thing I've learned through HARD experiences like this one, is get rid of the kid. Sounds harsh, but you've got to protect yourself, the other children, and your reputations. I would say implore your director/owners to do the right thing and expell the child. I know this is just passing the problem on to the next center, but ... again I am talking from experience... If they refuse, I would start looking for another position. I know that times are tough and I don't know what part of the country that you are from, but usually child care positions are plentiful. Sounds like I am simplifying a very difficult issue, but trust me.

11. pabef

pabef Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

I agree with the post above. I had to ask a child to leave our center recently because of the same type of behavior. It was a very difficult decision that put me in a bad spot because I knew the family so well. Ours is a church preschool and the whole family grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles left the church because of this, but in the end I knew that our center was better off and that the teacher would have a class that ran more smoothly and that other parents who expressed concerns would no longer feel that their child's school was an unsafe environment.