Day to day schedule help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newteacher20, Aug 12, 2020.

1. newteacher20

newteacher20 Guest

Aug 12, 2020

I'm a first year teacher for finance and business high school classes. Because of covid, I wasn't able to shadow any other teachers and see how they taught during my training. I have a few questions about day-to-day lessons. My courses are very content heavy, and each day will probably be 15 to 20 minutes of lecture and then activity to fill in the rest of the class period. My classes will be 45 minutes each. What is the typical schedule in your class?

My other question is, while you are lecturing do you give the students any visuals? Like a powerpoint or something that they can look at? Or do you just get up and talk to them while they take notes and then they can look at visuals in their book later? Right now I am making a powerpoint for every lecture and it is a lot of prep work, and I wasn't sure if that's what other teachers typically do or not so I wanted to get some other opinions. I'm a visual learner so I feel like I would want something to look at, but it's also been a long time since I've been in high school so I'm not sure if that is something that teachers do or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 18, 2020

1) Bell Work - 10+/- min.

Bell work, as the name implies, is a routine activity when students enter the room. It is not the lesson for that day. It is a short self-directed activity students solve, often two review questions from previous lessons. Bell work’s main mission is management. It helps to focus the class on one activity versus “settling in” - milling around, talking, sharpening pencils etc. Teachers that have nothing for students to do when entering the room will end up nagging students to start class: “Everyone, let’s all find our seats”/“You two back there. You’ve had plenty of time to sharpen your pencil. Pleas sit down”/ “Class, this is the second time I’ve asked you to take your seat. Now sit down!” Bell work, like all rules and procedures, needs to be taught. Students should never have to ask, “What are we starting with today?” It’s always Bell Work. During Bell Work the teacher “works the crowd”; walking around among students motoring and answering questions. This is the time to take roll and other clerical stuff. I give students an IBM bubble answer sheet which they keep in their binders to mark answers. Two questions with four answer choices for each are written on board in advance (or projector). Students volunteer to correct the problems by showing and explaining their solutions to the class. I watch. Nothing is graded. It’s not the midterm. It’s review.

2) Lesson - 40 min.

“A picture is worth a thousand words” describes the importance of the visual modality. There are students who can remember skills and concepts via listening. They are usually in the top third of a class. If you want to reach the majority of students tap into seeing + doing. Perhaps the number one error teachers make, especially at the secondary level, is talking too much. This is probably due to lecture being modeled for us since junior high. Therefore, when you are exposed to a certain instruction technique over and over it is not unusual to copy it as the preferred method.

My goal is to make the students work while I watch instead of students making me work while they watch. I try to break skills and concepts into small chunks of input, then have students “do” something with each chunk. For a math algorithm I teach the first step then have students demonstrate step 1 on several problems in a row. Then I teach step 2 and they practice it on several problems in row and so on. It looks like this: input-output-input-output-input-output. Students are rarely sitting idle for more than a couple minutes and many times less. Opposite to this is what Fred Jones refers to as “Bob ’til you Drop” style of teaching. This is where the teacher teaches the whole algorithm, all the steps at once, then asks students to demonstrate them. A few lucky students may be able to perform. The rest of the class will be experiencing cognitive overload and asking themselves, “Now what was step 3?” Bop ’til you drop looks like this: input, input, input, input, input, output.