Day to Day in a Social Studies Class- Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by historyteacher09, Jan 31, 2017.

1. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Jan 31, 2017

I'm a first year teacher, who started mid year and I am drowning...

I teach great 8th grade kids and have very few serious behavior problems. I can't complain about my school at all. But I am seriously in over my head. I want to come up with creative engaging lessons for my students so they don't say that what we are doing is boooorrrinnggg.

If you are a Social Studies teacher, do you have a specfic outline for how your weeks look? For example, I have a teacher friend who has 3 days of lecture/notes, one day of group work, and one day of individual activities. I love that but I dont know about the 3 days of lecture...

Right now- all my days look different.... I am using guided notes and powerpoint for lecture, (we have a textbook) so I will cover a bit of the section and then have the students do an activity... a bit of the notes then have the students do an activity.... ect.

I guess I say all that to say, is the method Im using wrong? Should I lecture one day and then do an activity the next? I seriously feel like I'm in so far over my head. I'm stressed to the max every single night.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2017

I'm sorry you're in this position. Can you ask your department chair to provide you with some mentoring?

4. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

I teach 8th grade Social Studies and I personally do direct instruction(slideshow/lecture/discussion) for 2 days, assess the 3rd day, review the assessment/activity 4th day, project/activity 5th day. Also, our 6 week common assessments are actually during the 5th week so that last week we try to review everything with a multi-day project. Hope that helps.