Day one and 3 out of 4 classes are fine.. One HELP!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by njteach16, Sep 7, 2007.

1. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

I just started a new job this week ( hired one week before school).
    I teach technology, computers(2) and one BLOCK of 8th grade math.
    I actually thought the math would be my best class, as that is my area of strength!

Today was day one with the students.
    First three classes went great.
    I didn't get my class list until late last night.

I have 21 students~

of which 10 are classified ~ 1/2 of them emotionally disturbed!
    and of my 11 approximately 1/2 don't give a ****

I have in-class support ~ but the sp ed teacher told me she doesn't do MATH! What's up with that?
    Fact is 1/2 don't want to be there
    1/4 want to and are sweet
    and the other 1/4 need extra help ~ with no help form the sp ed teacher!

All of this and a 70 minute BLOCK!

How am I going to get them in control? Monday we start lessons for real....

Any advice? I know how important it is to gain control in the beginning or we will have a very long year.

PLEASE, PLEASE any suggestions for consequences that matter, rewards that may elicit positive behavior etc...

I am pretty sure next week will either set the stage for a disastrous year or a productive one. Many of these kids who don't care have little or no support from home and need some structure and boundaries. I am open to suggestions.:woot:
    :woot:

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2007

First, I would nose around in the grapevine & find out if the sped teacher is telling the truth. Technically- I believe they are supposed to help you. I personally would play the oblivious card & talk with either my mentor, or an administrator & say something like - I didn't know so and so couldn't help with my Math class. If your kids have iep's- they are legally supposed to be receiving services.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 8, 2007

I agree with loves2teach. My dil is a SPED teacher in the middle school. She is supposed to co-teach the class modifying the assignments for those with IEPS. But she is considered one of the classroom teachers and is to help ALL students - even the ones without IEPs.

5. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

Yes, the special ed teacher should be helping. I taught special ed for six years before moving to third grade and I currently have the inclusion classroom for third grade. You should go to the guidance office (or wherever student files are kept) and look specifically at the IEP's and find out whatever accommodations are supposed to be made. The teacher should be helping with those. If it calls for support in math, then she should be providing support. It is usually a gray area whether they have to co-teach but definitely some re-teaching of skills. Also, if they are emotional support, she should be providing behavioral re-direction and they should have behavior plans in their IEP's that she is responsible for helping implement. I would ask to meet with her during a plan period and discuss all this. Just discuss what her role typically is, what support she provides, etc. I would definitely look at the IEP's first and have some notes/ ideas of specific questions (So and so requires this behavior system, how do you normally do that?/ Joe Schmoe needs re-teaching of math skills-what time/when do you do that?) Good luck!

6. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

thank you

She hasn't shared the IEP's with me yet. hopefully next week we can sit down and discuss the IEP's and what her role is going to be in this class. You've given me some good ideas on how to address the issues with her...

I really appreciate it!

We'll see how next week goes.

I am having some difficulty planning my lessons without knowing what their classifications are and their modifications.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 11, 2007

YOU should go ask to see the IEP's. There should be a copy in the office or guidance. I agree with sitting down and asking what she sees her role as, and telling her what role you see her playing. If she "doesn't do math" don't expect her to teach, but let her know that she still needs to help with behavior plans, redirecting students when needed and reiterating directions to be sure everyone is on task.
    Give her a copy of your plans as early a possible so that SHE can make the modification/accomodation for each kid. That's her job as the sped teacher. Also let her know if it is ok for her to pull kids out during certain periods to help reteach or strengthen basic skills required for the class.
    I am the sped in an inclusion class and I feel that my main jobs are working to make sure notes are taken correctly, vocab is done, hw is copied down and directions are understood. I also step in to redirect the reg ed kids when needed and clarify directions for them when needed.

8. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

it is getting better!

Thanks for your help. I did get a copy of the IEP's today. She seems to be helping with the behavior. We haven't been able to discuss the strategy for re-teaching and modifications per IEP's.
    I am hoping to get to that tomorrow or the next day.