Day off...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Feb 19, 2008.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 19, 2008

...due to the COLD!!! That's right folks, the schools have closed because it is supposed to be -25 degrees with windchill. On the one hand I am scratching my head and wondering just who is in charge of making the call, on the other hand I'm not complaining because it's a day off. But really, since Christmas we've had three separate occasions of nasty weather and icy roads on school was kept in session. City emergencies were being issued, but school was kept in session. Now schools are closed all over the city because it's cold? What gives? Mind you, I'm not complaining or anything...:p

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 19, 2008

What??? You are kidding me! It's cold out here on the prairie too...I wanna day off! I have a dentist appointment tomorrow that I have to leave early for, I could use a "cold day". I just saw on the news it's supposed to be 4 tomorrow...

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 20, 2008

Wow....makes out 51 degrees here sound HOT! lol

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 20, 2008

I don't know about HOT, but I'll be more than happy to trade. ;) I am so sick of cold winter weather. I can't wait for spring to arrive. Only a few more weeks of this winter stuff left before it starts warming up in earnest.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

We are having the same cold weather here. I am at home with two boys who are dying to climb, run, jump. If I have to go to McDonald's Playland one more time I'm gonna scream!

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

We're having snows, lots of it. There were a lot of accidents this morning. There was a 25 car-truck pile up on a local interstate. They canceled the PM kindergarten today. A school corp about a half hour away is dismissing early. It was terrible driving in this morning.

I'M READY FOR SPRING!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

Glad you got a day off. I'm home too. Because I'm on VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'll be gone the next two days coaching.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2008

It's going to be in the mid 60s today and tomorrow its going to be 45 with rain! UGH!!

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

I wish it was in the mid 60s today with 45 and rain tomorrow!

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 20, 2008

Maybe they closed school because it is using too much fuel to keep everyone warm on such a cold day! We had a "snow day" one time because we had so much ice and snow the city could not keep up with the plowing, and then they ran out of sanding material! it was unsafe to have our school buses going up and down hills, even with chains, so we closed the schools - I think it was a Friday, and it gave everyone the weekend to get some more sand. We are very isolated so we couldn't just borrow some from Anchorage!! haha!

12. smalltowngal

Feb 20, 2008

Okay, so the temp actually made it to 78! :eek:

13. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

:p

14. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

Geez, stop bragging smalltowngal! :)

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2008

Well runs with scissors, be glad you got the day off. Our district did not call off school last week Monday when it was so very cold here. (many other districts did, as most have a policy that kids have to wait outside before schools starts, the average wait is 30 mins, my kids wait 45 mins....I don't know why)

Well the state says our attendance that day at 61% is too low, so it is now a non attendance day and it counts as a snow day we have to make up.....but we were there!!!

I would have rather been home than teaching to my one student in one class and two in another......

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 20, 2008

The weather man said that we might get below zero tonight! :eek:

My husband asked me if I want to go outside and watch the lunar eclipse tonight! :eek:hmy:

17. smalltowngal

Feb 20, 2008

cmcdonno, it is supposed to get down into the 30s tonight and the high only 40 in the morning with rain. Don't mind the 40 degree temp, but pair it with rain and it stinks! :p

Glenda, thanks for reminding me!! Hopefully we'll be able to see it. Its supposed to be cloudy tonight.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 20, 2008

I am so sick of cold weather! I'd be willing to trade with anyone who is experiencing temps above freezing. 45 would be fantastic, and rain would be a nice change of pace from snow and ice. Tomorrow we're supposed to have a heat wave with highs in the 20's.

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 21, 2008

They are probably finding they are spending too much money on heating the schools! If the students are not there, they can turn down the boilers to a safe temp without anything freezing, something they could not if the students were there because of all the complaints from parents it would cause! School logic is an oxymoron at times!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 22, 2008

Someone told me it was because they couldn't get the busses started. I know they had problems with that last year when it got cold because they switched to some new fuel, but it hasn't been a problem at all this year. And the called school on Tuesday night. I think someone just wanted another day off (after Presidents Day).

21. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 22, 2008

We've had school cancelled due to cold before and it was because it would cost too much $ to keep the bulidings warm. They didn't have it in the budget.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 26, 2008

Yesterday around noon the weather turned bad (snow/sleet/rain mix). By the time I was headed home the streets were a slushy slippery mess. I was planning on going to a mission at my church last night (around 6:30) and couldn't even get out of my parking lot! Then of course everything froze over last night, and the streets became absolute ice rinks. However, we still had school today. I nearly hit a parked car trying to leave this morning because of the ice. I am very concerned about the logic of the person making these decisions.