day/night theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ArizonaTeacher, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

I teach pre-k and next week our theme is "daytime and nighttime." I have a few ideas for art and circle time but I would love to hear any ideas that you may have. Thanks for your help.

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 1, 2007

Nocturnal and diurnal animals is the only thing I can think of.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 2, 2007

I like doing crayon resist nighttime pictures... color ap icture REALLY hard with crayons (yellow and white show up the best), then paint over the page with a black or blue watercolor wash (or REALLY water down tempra). The paint won't stick to the areas they colored. Looks really really cool.

5. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Nov 2, 2007

WINDOWS: Make an arched window (whatever shape you want) using black card for the frame. The children cut out the windows and use coloured cellophane on one side to act as coloured lightbulbs. Display them on the classroom window so the light can come through them.

STARS: photocopy lots of stars (all the same size) on to a coloured sheet of A4 card. The children or you can cut them out (I do it on yellow card). Cut yellow drinking straws into 4 or 5 cm lengths. Tie a know to one end of a piece of string. Thread a star along the string using a blunt tapestry needle (you might need to prick a hole in the middle of the stars if they can't do it themselves). They then pattern star, straw, star, straw, etc. About 6 stars gives the hanging stars enough length and they can be hung from the ceiling (I have a fishing net across my room).

SUN: Use a large yellow circle as the centre of the sun. Working in pairs, get the children to draw round each others hands (fingers spread wide) on yellow and orange card. They cut out their hand prints and arrange them around the yellow circle (the centre of the sun). Alternatively, they could do orange and yellow painted hand prints. One half of your room could be day and the other half night.

FLASHLIGHTS: have the children experiment with flashlights, shadows.

GLOW IN THE DARK stickers. Or use fluorescent things that will shine in the dark.

6. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

We make a day and night collage

I cut out pictures from magazines of things we do in the day and at night and we talk about them and glue them on the dark "night" side or the bright "day" side.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

For space/night, I let them put star stickers on a piece of black paper, then draw lines between them with white crayon/chalk/pencil to look like constellations.