Day 3: Interview and well..

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by mrsammieb, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 19, 2006

Ok, I had my last first interview today. It was nice. I got there early and they weren't ready yet (8am in the summer? Crazy!) I liked the people and the questions came naturally. Although, I couldn't tell you what they were. BUT, I don't know. They said they'd let me know Friday or Monday. Why do they make you wait for the weekend? WHY?

Okay, stupid comment:

They did ask me something about how I can make changes to their school in a positive way or something worded like that:

Answer:
    I tell them about converting to becoming Catholic. WHY! Am I stupid! I know.. there was a story there but WHY did I have to go there.

What happens to your brain when you are in an interview. I don't think you are all there!! Seriously!

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I think that for most of us there is a lot going on in our brains when we are there. When we get the unexpected question we draw a blank and the need to fill the silence causes us to start talking without thinking about what we are saying. I know I had to apologize for getting off subject and redirect myself back to answer the question. I found this happening to me when there was more than one question before I was asked to answer.

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

I have been there too! You never know though, they may have seen your genuine side and really liked that or seen something else that they liked from your unique answer. You are probably analyzing it mroe than they are so don'y worry too much.

I was interviewing for a 2nd grade position before my first year. Then they asked me what other interests I had and I told them how much I enjoyed writing. Poof...I was hired as a 4th grade teacher---kids are tested in writing here in 4th grade. And to think I was almost going to teach a grade without "the test". :::sigh:::

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2006

MrsA,
    I'm sorry but your thread made me laugh. It sounds like something I would do (at least until the last three interviews). I read some place that stress causes memory loss. I have so much more sympathy now for children that live in stressful environments, that can't remember things from day to day.
    Did you ever hear anything back?

6. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 22, 2006

you know what.. I did something sooooo stupid at mine too. My brain was so focused on what NOT to say and it slipped out that way anyway! The principal asked me "why do you want this position" or something like that, and I wanted to say something like "After student teaching and another year of teaching on my own, I know that I belong in the classroom ... " I had a whole schpiel (sp) for that question. Guess what came out: "because I need a job...." The principal sort of laughed and nodded and I was like, ""Oh my gosh I didn't mean it like that!!! I started to say "b/c I need to be in the classroom... I will be heart broken, especially after having the experience of being in a classroom, if I don't end up in the classroom for the next school year.." (I had to leave my prior job to move so it wasn't like I had much of a choice.) I was SO embarrassed, but they just sort of smiled and nodded and got a little laugh out of it, and moved on. I did get that job, by the way.

I think they must get that sort of thing sooooo often.. They probably have at least one from every interview where they are thinking "I'm sure that was not the answer he/she meant to say" I would not worry about it. If you think the rest of your interview went well, I'm sure they won't even think about how you answered that question.

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Well sometimes getting the interviewer to laugh is a good thing. When funny things slip out and you recover from it shows that you will be able to handle those types of situations while teaching as well. At least you all got a good giggle, a tension reliever, and the job!

8. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

At my last prescreening interview I had studied questions, mock interviewed, and thought I was hot stuff. I went in feeling confident and cool. I was zipping along, doing a great job, when I was asked a question that I hadn't even thought about - something about forming a positive relationship with a parent. I literally sat there for over half a minute thinking - I went brain dead! FINALLY, I figured out what I was going to say. I apologized for taking so long, but the interviewers actually commented later that they liked the fact I took the time to think about my answer. I think it showed that it wasn't pre-rehearsed. I imagine they get a lot of interviewees who ramble off a memorized shpeel (sp?).