Day 2 problems

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by QueenB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

OK, I teach 2nd grade. I'm a newer teacher, and I have specific rules and procedures for my classroom. The students have plenty of opportunities to get rewards, and I use one progressive negative reinforcement.

Now on to my problems...Yesterday (the first day of school) they were shy, timmid, quiet, and basically doing a great job of listening, staying on task, and learning the proceedures of the class. Today was a different story. They were trying to test me. I didn't "come down hard" on them yesterday because I didn't really need to. Today was awful, I felt like I was repeating myself over and over again. I used my negative reinforcement A LOT but no mater how many students went to 5 minutes or 10 minutes of time out no one seemed to be learning from their own mistakes or others mistakes. I feel like I'm loosing control, and it's only the 2nd day! what can I do to get that control back?

3. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Kids are always good on the first day of school! I have never really had any problems that first day.
    Now is when you need to keep your thumb on them. You need to be firm and stick to what you say. If you go back on something, they know they can walk all over you.:lol:
    Plus, those first few weeks, you need to set the rules and practice, practice, practice the procedures.

It will get better.....you just need to be tough for the first few weeks.
    Good luck!:)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2007

Have a class meeting with them ASAP. Have them identify the behaviors that broke the rules. Talk with them about your goals for the classroom and their learning. Have them act out short scenes demonstrating acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior. Then you act out giving consequences and rewards. You can do this.

5. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

For clarification, and in the service of clarifying the theory that drives what we do in classrooms (I believe an understanding of theory is critical for teachers who want to become expert), the principle of time out is entirely different from the principle of negative reinforcement. The are both grounded in behaviorism. Negative reinforcement is the removal of a reinforcer which results in the increase of a desired behavior. Time out from reinforcement (the proper term) is the removal of a person from a reinforcing situation. There are two varieties, exclusion and seclusion.

Having said all that, you might consider whether or not you are using the right tool for the job that you want to acomplish. Continuing to use the wrong tool...perhaps more aggressively, will not solve the problem.