data walls?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by firstgurl85, Feb 2, 2012.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 2, 2012

We have been asked to post data about our kiddos in our room so they can make goals and track progress. Has anyone else had to make a data wall? If so, what does yours look like, how does it work, what do you post? I was thinking of doing one with reading levels aiming for the year end goal. I teach first grade so I don't want it to have names and want to keep it easy for me to manage. Thanks for any input!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2012

I do! I love mine and so do the kids. They each have a set of goals on a paper on my huge bulletin board. For most kids, these are their IEP goals- for RtI kids, it's just the levels I want them to get to. Their charts say something like, "In one minute, I can read this many words with 0-3 mistakes..." and underneath there is a little chart with 5, 10, 15, etc. all the way up to their goal. Once they reach the next number, they get to put a sticker in that spot. For math it might say, "In two minutes, I can answer this many adding/subtracting problems." For writing, "I can write this many sentences in a paragraph with no mistakes." It's a simple idea but even my older kids are obsessed with "adding stickers." Towards the end of the year when kids start completing their entire sticker chart, I make another race themed board called "Finish Line" where kids get to transfer their finished charts over to. They are very proud when they're able to do this. It's worked wonders for motivation in my room.

4. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Feb 2, 2012

I would feel very uncomfortable with putting my student's reading levels up for example. Some can be high and some can be really self-conscious about being low. The idea of not having names is a good one but the students will still know which one is theirs.

5. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Feb 2, 2012

From what I have seen of Data Walls they are geared towards State Testing results and moving into proficiency through their common assessments. Personally, I am not a fan.

I didn't get into teaching to reach certain numbers......this kills the self esteem of many.....the exact opposite of why I teach. Just my thoughts, sorry if you disagree.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2012

We have a data wall but it is in a teacher only room. The students never enter this room for any reason, so they do not see the data.

I do keep data folders on each student with goal setting information. They are very simple and ask the students to set goals based on the NWEA chart as well as some common assessments used throughout the school. They sound very similar to waterfalls.

If I needed to post a data wall, I would probably do something with percent meet towards goal. So if a student need to get 10 more addition problems correct then they already can, each extra problem they get correct would be 10% of the goal. So then all the students are working towards 100% of their goal (regardless of the goal that they are shooting for).

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2012

Yeah that's sort of what mine are like to for RtI students that don't have IEP goals. I'm not posting a grade level standard that may be unreachable...it's something I think everyone can attain. Since obviously all of my kids are low, there isn't a huge discrepancy between what the goals are, but some kids do have a higher fluency goal for example than other kids do. However, I position the stickers/numbers in such a way so that those two kids would end up with the same number of stickers. I've never had a kid comment that their goal was higher/lower than someone else's. I do give kids the option at the beginning of the year to keep their charts in their binders rather than on the wall if they want it to be for their eyes only, but I've never had anyone take me up on that yet. They are proud to see their accomplishments on the wall.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2012

I'm not too worried about the students commenting too much on other charts at the elementary grades, but it would definitely happen at the middle school grades. My bigger fear is the parents that come into the classroom seeing the charts of other students.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 2, 2012

We have two data walls- one for Math and one for Reading, but not where students can see them. They track the kids who are receiving intervention on sticky notes that are moved as the kids move "tiers."

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2012

:thumb: Well said Sanja! I totally agree!:thumb::thumb:

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2012

I'm not familiar with this concept so perhaps I am not picturing it properly. However, it seems like it would greatly hinder confidentiality.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 3, 2012

We have goal walls in classes that have bar graphs so kids can see where they fall in the bigger picture of the class. The kids are numbered randomly so only the child knows his/her number. The kids try to improve their scores on benchmark tests that they take throughout the year. The kids that meet their goals earn prizes. It is totally effective for most kids. I say most - because there are a few that are not motivated by goals, or prizes. We work on building esteem with those kids because usually they are your lowest kids. They have been trying for so long that they no longer want to try because they are not getting anywhere. We make sure to make their goals attainable. This usually motivates even the difficult to motivate. :)

We also have data walls for our professional development. The kids do not see these. We track where kids are by teacher. That way if a particular teacher does particularly well on a test, she can help her team mates produce the same types of results. It is all about creating a culture that allows your teacher to have these open conversations so that teacher growth is not seen as scary - it is just what is says... growth. It is not a gotcha moment - it is a WOW... what did you do differently? Let me try that and reteach/retest. Make sense?

13. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 3, 2012

I never said I did agree! In fact I don't, but I am being asked/told to make one. I am trying to keep the influence on my students to a minimum- I really don't like the idea of displaying their abilities (or lack thereof). This is first grade! Yes, we should celebrate success and reaching goals but what about those kids that just never get there? They know that it is them on that chart even without names.

Thank you for all the input!

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Feb 3, 2012

I've never seen a data wall with individual goals, let alone names on it (not saying they don't exist, it's just not the practice where I've worked). We put individual goals in a data notebook, and class goals on the wall.

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2012

Do you think your administrator would let you set a class goal and post that instead of individual goals?

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

Our kids set goals in their notebooks but we do track their F & P levels on the wall. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments on ours and the kids love it. Above our closets across one wall of the room I laminated a roadway that I bought at Lakeshore. Then I printed out and laminated buildings and houses. I labeled each with a letter. For special benchmarks, begining of the year, mid year, end year I used NYC buildings (we're in NYC) I got from a bulletin board pack from a teaching store. Z is special- Statue of Liberty. My readers range from Pre-Emergent to Adult Literature and everything in between. Each child has a car with their name on it. They absolutely love moving their cars from one building to another when they move their reading level. We have one student who has been struggling at an A all year (Kindergarten level in 4th grade) the other day she moved to a B and all the kids saw me get up on a chair to move her car and they started clapping. I was teary eyed. At first I was really against posting their levels for them all to see but they're actually really supportive of each other. Plus they're high enough on the wall that visitors to the classroom don't really notice who's car is whose.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

I also wanted to add that I'm in the process of creating a small bulletin board for writing goals. We staple an index card with their goal into their folder and I've taken out goals from the last unit that they achieved so I'm going to post them on a bulletin board to recognize them that says "look who achieved they're writing goal" or something like that with their goal and their picture.

18. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 10, 2012

Nah. The principal assigned a code for students so that only the teacher of each classroom knows who is represented on the data wall.

We have a board separated into three columns. The left column represents Tier 3, the middle represents Tier 2, and the right represents Tier 1. Students start out in Tier 3 or Tier 2 and are moved according to their progress monitoring or benchmark levels as a visual reminder to staff of how many students are receiving intervention and to demonstrate progress.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 11, 2012

I remember a "data wall" way back over 30 years ago when I was in the 1st grade. It wasn't quite the same as today, but very similar. I liked school, felt confident in math, and liked books. I still can see the data wall that showed I was the lowest student in reading. I remember thinking for the first time that I was 'stupid". It took many years before I got over it and felt comfortable reading books. I will NEVER have a data wall even if it means I have to leave to go to another school. I can't do that to a child after knowing what it feels like.

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 11, 2012

Again, the data walls we use are not in the sight of any students AND the walls have sticky notes with a bunch of numbers/codes that no student would even begin to know how to interpret.

I can't imagine EVER putting up something that ranked students according to ability where everyone could see who was ranked where :dizzy: That's just cruel.

I'm so sorry you have that awful memory :(