data tracking ...how to

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lilmarsh1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. lilmarsh1

lilmarsh1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

This is my first year teaching and first year departmentalizing. I want to do a data board in my classroom tracking each of my three classes progress.I have a dry erase board I want to use to make bar graphs to track data. With language arts only. What are some ways u can use my bulletin board/dry erase with using bar graphs to track all three classes?

What would I even track in the bulletin board. (Our curriculum is Reading Street is that helps).

Really need feedback. Thank you!! :)

3. OwlTeach

OwlTeach Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

I want to know this exact same thing. I saw an idea to track growth and not actual levels to make sure that even the bottom kids were encouraged because even if they couldn't reach the level of the smartest, they could show the most growth. Graph the difference in diagnostic and summative assessments.
    I saw an idea to make a star chart and the kids get a star every time they go up a reading level.
    I saw an idea to graph with a bar chart the number of kids who make a 100% on their spelling tests. (and not who makes up the number).

4. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

I do percentages of goal met instead of actual points or scores. After differentiating everyone's goals, they pretty much stay together. So, for fluency the goal for an on level student is 60wpm. My gifted students would have a higher goal and my IEP students would have a lower goal. However, they all look about the same on my board.

5. lilmarsh1

lilmarsh1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2014

So if I have a unit goal of being able to compare and contrast two stories.....would I just graph how many passed thr test on that subject? Then, I could graph percentage of students who met their fluency goals? I just dont know what information to graph.

6. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 10, 2014

If you are doing a classroom data board, I think that sounds good. At my school the students have to chart their own progress so I can't do class averages. I do Accelerated Math and Reading, fluency, and math facts. Students chart their own scores and move their own icon on the bulletin board. Those are very easy things for the students to monitor on their own because of the instant feedback.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2014

We used to keep data walls but teachers were free to decide for themselves what was graphed. Do you think it's more for student motivation and team building?

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

Does the district require this? If so I would see what they would like displayed. If not I would make sure it is ok with administration since data could be considered confidential. Have a great new year and congrats on the new job!