Data Organization

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by literarynerd, Aug 22, 2018.

1. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 22, 2018

In the past I've used one large binder with my whole caseload divided by student. It's super big and bulky. I eventually lost track of things and started to wing it by the end of the year. I'm looking for new ideas..maybe one binder per student?

How do you organize and keep track of your data to make sure that it's consistent and that progress markings aren't nearly as stressful? I love preloading a lot of the work so I'm "set" for weeks or even months at a time (if that makes sense).

It might also help to know what your set up is like and how much space you have... resource room...closet...cart?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2018

I'm in favor of keeping as much on my computer as possible. I know where it is, there are no size limits on the files, and since I can save to Google Drive, I have the files at my fingertips whether at school or should I happen to need something while at home. If you have access to a laptop, that would simplify things. Just a thought.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 23, 2018

I've had a binder for every student for many years. I was just saying that this may be my last year with the binders- so many things are electronic now that they're just not as useful as they used to be.

My original binders had 8 tab dividers with the following components:
    -Goal sheet on top (before the tabs started): A sticker chart that students add stickers to in order to track their own progress toward IEP goals.
    -Tab 1- Copy of IEP
    -Tabs 2-4 (depending on how many goals): A data sheet up front with the goal listed on top and then a t chart- one side was for the date and one side was for whatever score they got. Behind the chart, I put copies of whatever I needed for their progress monitoring (i.e. reading passages, computation problems, etc.) so that when it was time to assess I had everything ready and right there.
    Tab 5- Work samples
    Tab 6- Data (I would keep the goal charts from previous IEP goals here)
    Tab 7- Notes
    Tab 8- Record of parent contact

When my school started giving us copy limits, I stopped printing extra copies of the IEP for the binder. Everything's online and our students do have official paper files if there were ever to be an issue with the online system. Our reading progress monitoring and data collection is also now done 100% online, so I no longer need paper for any reading goals. I've really moved away from a lot of paper/pencil work where students "create a product," that I could keep under "work samples" so that tab goes mostly unused as well. I also only keep running notes if it's a student there are major concerns about and I'm documenting for a possible change in placement- and this is done on google docs so the entire team can see/add to it. We're also now required to document parent contact online, so that tab is obsolete too.

I am thinking I'll move towards a system like having just one binder per grade level with a tab or 2 for each student.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

This. I digitize everything and it is organized by folder and sub-folder upon sub-folder.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 24, 2018

I have a binder per grade level that I keep my data collection sheets for the different goal areas. Each student has a tab in that binder. I like having the actual data on paper so that when I am writing my part of the IEP I don't have to go from tab to tab. This year I am giving each student a binder for them to keep their work samples in.