Data Folders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ami6880, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

Has anyone used data folders with their upper elementary students? I have been looking into implementing them this year so the kids become more accountable. They would keep track of assignments by graphing scores and make monthly or weekly goals. I have been toying with this, but I am switching grade levels and don't know if I would be taking on too much right away. Also, I feel like I have spent way too much already on my classroom this year and would need to purchase a class set of folders with the brads in the middle. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on these?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

We use these with our students, but it was something that the district put together.

Do you students buy folders? Could you take one of theirs for this (it would mean needing to purchase less).

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I would look for $.05 sales at Staples or Target for the folders. If you can't find them for cheap, maybe make your own by laminating some construction paper or file folders (if your office provides them) and stapling the data info inside? I used data binders, and I liked them.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

I'm not familiar with this strategy, but I like it. Off to do some research! Thanks for the idea!!

6. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I started doing this last year with my third graders. I started with Math pre and post assessments. Then I went to Galileo and STAR tests. Once you get a template going, the possibilities are endless!!!
    This year, I'm going to have a binder for each student and have a bar graph for almost each area. I would really like to use the Data Binder for a student-led conference instead of the traditional parent-teacher conference.
    It's really neat to see the kids get so excited when they graph the progress they have made. :D

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

Would you mind sharing what your template looks like? Thanks!

8. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

CoMrs.S, did you find it difficult to get it organized and was it time consuming at first? I REALLY want to do it, I think it would be great for responsibility and independance for the kids. I think I am more hesitant because of the change rather than going and buying folders. I know they have them at Walmart for .15 and really it would be fairly cheap for 25 or so, I just told myself I wouldn't spend anymore money on my classroom this year :)

Swansong, I found these, I don't think I would use all of the pages, but I went ahead and bought them to save time and until the end of today they are 20% off and if you enter the code B1T1S you get an extra 10% off. It came to $2.80 I think which I thought was a great price even if I don't use them this year and use them next...but I will use them :)

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Data-Folders-Goal-Setting-101

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2011

I have to keep an RtI page on my students but I like this idea of the kids keeping their data as well.

10. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

ami6880-it does take awhile to get it going at first but, it is definitely worth it! I have a document camera so, I spend a lot of time at first showing them how to graph their scores. I usually write the % at the bottom and draw a line where they are supposed to stop coloring. I only do that a couple of times, when they get the hang of it though...it's pretty awesome!

11. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I think you talked me into it...I'm gonna try it!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

Thanks!

13. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

Good Luck Ami6880! Let me know if you need any help with it. :)