Data Collection

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Nov 11, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Nov 11, 2006

I am a first year teacher and I am I having difficulty with data collection for my students' IEP goals.

My questions are:
    How do other teachers document progress towards goals?
    How do you keep it organized in an easy to use format?
    How often do you document progress?

I know that data collection is an important part of my job and I have not yet found an easy way to collect data. I have 6 students with severe disabilities, who each have at least 4 or 5 objectives for their reading and math goals. I also have some students with life skills goals, adapative behavior goals, and appropriate school behavior goals. If I collected data everyday, I would not have time to teach my students.

I would love to hear how other teachers go about documenting progress and data collection for IEP goals.

Most of my goals are stated in ___ of 5 trials.
    My other goals that are a percentage, can be documented through work samples.

3. RJN

RJN Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

Krisaustin,
    I teach a middle school Life Skills, class so some of my goals are written like yours. After about 3 other methods of keeping track of data, I finally settled on a clip board that holds a sheet for each student. My kids usually only have 2 goals, so I can fit both goals on one sheet. It states the goal, has a block for each quarter (for each benchmark) and then blocks for info for 9 weeks.
    I keep this on my desk and sometimes just grab a kid and check a goal, or schedule this for math or reading or whenever I can fit it in. I try to never write a goal that requires daily info. Usually it's weekly or two times a month. I don't know how you report your progress, but we have to do charts and graphs, so this method makes it really easy to input data when the time comes. Since you are new at this, remember to write goals that you can measure easily.
    I know this may be difficult to visualize, so if you are interested in seeing a chart, let me know and I will email you a copy. My email is rnicolazzo@craw.org. Hope this helps.

4. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 24, 2006

Hi, I teach a preschool disabled class of 11 students.

I made a data sheet for myself and it has helped me so far.

I have a sheet for each individual student, I make it using Microsoft excel and boxed everything off. Then throughout the day I just have to put a + if they get it correct and a - if they don't. Then I keep the completes ones in a binder for each student. I add new goals to the paper when I believe the children are able to handle more.

You can tally up the scores, say you do 5 trials of 1 goal & they get 4 out of 5 right that equals 80%

-----------------Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri

Letter ID "A"
    Number ID 1-6
    Follow Directions
    Labels Colors
    Snapping
    Buttoning
    Cutting
    Scribbling
    HITTING

( I tried to cut and paste but it didn't come out with the box around everything )

**You can also add behaviors and do a tally count, make the boxes alittle bit bigger and then just make a slash every time the student displays the inappropriate behavior.

You can have your para take the data IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THAT!!!!!

I hope this helps.......Keep me posted