Data Collection Strategies

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by inhisgrip20, Sep 8, 2008.

1. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Hi fellow Special Ed. Teachers,

I have come to realize over the past few years that my biggest weakness as a teacher is data collection. I have a specific type of data sheet that I like to use so that is not the problem. The problem is taking the data on a consistent basis.

How do you guys keep up with data on IEP goals/objectives? What is your system for data collection... weekly, daily, certain students on certain days, etc? I would love to hear any suggestions. I really want to improve on that this year.

3. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I take data on each program once weekly. Ideally, each student is completing all her programs every day (yeah, right!), and once a week the program is done with no prompts and data is taken. Each student's notebook contains a cover sheet with all the programs listed, and I highlight the programs I want data taken on each day. I do graphing once a week (again, ideally) to see which programs need updated or revised according to the data.

Hope that helps!

4. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Hey Sary, can you clarify what "programs" you are referring to? I have data sheets for each IEP goal and those can cover anything from brushing teeth, to folding laundry, to utilizing sign language, to staying with an adult in the hallway, etc, etc.

5. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

That's all I mean by programs -- the exact same sorts of things. I just use "programs" to refer to the lessons or strategies we use to address IEP goals. Below is a sample entry on the data sheet I use:

PROCEDURE: The teacher uses a variety of phrases to question Student A. about his personal information. (NAME: "What's your name?" "Who are you?"; ADDRESS: "Where do you live?" "Where are your parents?"; PHONE NUMBER: "What's your phone number?" "How can I reach your parents?" etc.) Use signed and verbal prompts when necessary.
    DATA PROCEDURE: Follow procedure above, minus prompts. Score as + if student independently and accurately reports personal information. (+ = correct; - = incorrect; P = prompted; NR = No Response)

Date: __________ Initials: __________

FIRST NAME: __
    LAST NAME __
    HOUSE NUMBER __
    STREET NAME __
    CITY __
    STATE __
    ZIP CODE __
    AREA CODE __
    PHONE NUMBER __

___ / ___ = ____% correct

6. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Oh, okay, so basically you're saying that although students work on goals everyday, you only take data on each goal once per week? And update your graphs weekly? Do you let your parapros collect data? Do you try to take all of "Johnny's" data on Monday, "Sarah's" on Tuesday, etc. or does it just depend on the goal. I've tried assigning each student a day but it just doesn't work for me. I have a clipboard for each student that I keep their data sheets on, but it's just not working. I've GOT to change my system. I'm just stuck in a rut I guess.

7. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Everybody has some data taken every day. So say Johnny's got fifteen active programs. Data would be taken on three of them per day. The paras do take data -- it just depends on who has the child when the program that's scheduled for data collection comes up in the schedule.

Does that make sense?

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

At my old school district-- it was logistically impossible to get data for every IEP goal for every child, every day.

I basically had it set up in drawers. I set up activities that corresponded to the IEP goals and put them in ziplocks (big size). For example, a counting IEP goal would have several small sets of counters, counting worksheets, etc. in that IEP goal bag. Each child had a drawer, each drawer had five bags. (Monday through Friday was labeled on each bag.) We had a specific time in the morning and afternoon that was set for my para and I to work on IEP goals with the students. All we had to do was open the child's drawer, pull out their Monday bag, and grab the morning activity or the afternoon activity. The skills were varying subjects, but I tried to stick to my main rotation for the class which included specific subjects on specific days -- Monday - Literacy, Tuesday - Math, etc. Sometimes it didn't work out that way though.

There is a data collection sheet pertaining to that child's goal in the bag with the materials.

This made it easy for set up for each kid. It made it easy to always collect data. Data was taken per goal AT least once per week, sometimes more if there was extra time. This worked out nicely.

Obviously, as the child mastered the goal or was bored with the materials, I would switch up the bags or rotate materials throughout (one kid's counters were bears, another kid's counters were dinosaurs... we'd switch. etc.)

9. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I take data on a specific need area a day...

Monday is Math data
    Tuesday is Language arts
    Wednesday is social skills and CBI area data
    Thursday is Life Skills
    Friday is the ones that don't fit into the box

10. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Hmmm... Teach96, I like the idea of doing a particular area each day. I think that would work better for me.

Your system seems very organized TeacherSK, the problem for me would be, the majority of my student's goals are more life skill/functional goals and not academic tasks that I could gather materials for. For example, washing wands, brushing teeth, requesting to use the bathroom using the "potty" sign at unscheduled times, staying with adult while walking in the hall, wiping hands/face using napkin at mealtimes, request "more" using appropriate sign, indicate "finished" using appropriate sign, etc. These are things that I instruct on at natural occurring times throughout the day not something I can box up. I guess that's my problem... I get so busy going about my day that I forget to take down the data. It would be easier if I could just do it all at once but the nature of my student's goals prevent that. *sigh*

Thanks for your input... any additional suggestions would be appreciated. :)

11. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

12. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

since yours are not very academic, I would alter mine a little and rotate the days/times of days that you took data on that specific activity. This way you have a well rounded collection of data (different days and times).

On Monday morning you could take out the bathroom request data collection and the staying with adult then next week this could be collected on Tuesday afternoons the following week Wednesday morning, etc.

13. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

All of these are great suggestions and I have used a few of these in the past, but 3 of us began team teaching our Life skills class this year and it has taken us this first 6 weeks to finally figure out how to have the time to get data to collect, we try to incorporate as many goals as possible in group settings when we teach. On Mon and Wednesday we have activities that relate to a theme we are covering, this week is Texas History and one period we might do language lesson on Texas and in it include, graphing, typing, local signs around Texas and although students who do not have these goals are doing it too, it reinforces them and we can get a little data from the ones with these goals and get a grade for our gradebook. We let paras work with the other kids and target those kids who have the goals we focus on. Now this works, it is not a formal assesment and we don't walk around with a clip board, but we set aside Tuesday and Thursday as probe days. We put the kids into roatating workstations with the aids, while we pull kids one at a time or a couple at a time to go over those specific goals such as work place skills, or rec and leisure that can't be done as a group and it also gives us some time to review what we learned the day before and see if they can use the targeted goal.

Because we are team teaching, we have access to each others contact students, so we decided that 1 of us would do all our kids Govt, social studies goals, one of us does all the math goals and I do all reading, Language and Science goals. We are responsible for getting and recording data on our contact students who have those other goals such as work place skills.

This has been alot less stressful and now we can tell parents, we do teaching on Mon and Wednesday and probe on T-Thursdays, so they make sure kids are at school those days and can call and check progress if needed.

Friday is set aside to do any make ups on students or to finish projects we did not get to or finish.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 3, 2008