DAP Walking from place to place

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jbrinkm, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 24, 2011

I need some advice about walking with the class from one place to another in our building. I teach a mixed-age (2-5) Pre-K class, 15 children, housed within a public family school, grades PK-8. This is my second year in Pre-K, although I started in October last year - so this is my first September with this classroom. I previously taught older elementary, so I am not new teacher, just new to this age group.

We have a long walk around the building to get to the playground, which we need to do daily. We also sometimes have to go to the auditorium, library, gym, etc. within the building. My assistant started the process last year (before I started) of very strict, straight line, no one wiggle/talk/turn head/touch anyone or anything line-walking. My relationship with my assistant is a long story, but we have a continued power struggle in the class over very different classroom management styles. This past week, we tried to do a tour of the school but it took forever because of her constant corrections of the children and stopping the line. By the end, we were all tired and unhappy.

I want to change how the line works this year. I want it to be respectful within the larger school environment yet still DAP. I do need the children to be able to line up quickly and stay together for when we do monthly fire drills. I could use some suggestions.

Is a walking rope considered a DAP scaffold for line walking? Is it safe? I've also seen classes do "partner" walking - where 2 people hold hands, basically a double line. Although some children may not want or be able to walk with another student.

Help??

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

I just make sure my kids go slowly and quietly because we don't want to disturb anyone else in the building, but not touching or turning around? Your assistant is way out of line, IMO. I also make sure we walk slowly.

4. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 24, 2011

My assistant is absolutely out of line, most of the time, about many things. Like I said, there is a long story behind it, but essentially I'm stuck with her and I also have to be diplomatic when I make changes to the class, for other reasons I don't really want to get into as part of this post.

What I really want to do is have a rock solid plan for how the children will be walking in line, and then I will implement calmly and firmly over her objections (dirty looks, undermining, etc).

What are your thoughts on a walking rope with handles or having the students double-up?

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 24, 2011

When we are faced with needing a line (rather than just wanting a line) I allow wiggling, I allow turning, I walk them slowly complementing them on how hard and boring it is. I also let them drag a hand down the right hand side of the hall....so they stay on the right (shhhhhhhhhh, the custodian said it would be ok.....but don't tell the other teachers...sshhhhhhh). We do a lot of waving at the passer by classes and teachers and commenting about how it was so nice we could share the hall. For a fire drill they make a hap hazard line and walk out behind the paras. One of us in the rear and we head count, but we don't need a hall to get out, so we just make it work for us. If we have to wait in a line, say for the rest room, we sit. I have many transition songs and finger rhymes that we use this time to practice and it all gets logged under the phonemic awareness heading in my lesson plan.

There are times we use the buddy line, but it doesn't help us stay on the right at all! We are much louder and more likely to get run over in a buddy line.

The rope my children didn't like, they looked sad using it (looked like it was a punishment) and they liked to play parachute games with it so that it looked like a weapon anyway. It was way to distracting. This is why I asked if we could just run a hand on the wall.

6. abcme

abcme Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

My children don't have to walk very far, but our routine always works. The line leader gets to choose how we walk- one hand on your hip/one hand on your lip, hug and bubble, or back and bubble. We put "bubbles" in our mouths to keep them quiet. We hug ourselves in front,or in back, to keep our hands to ourselves. Hopefully this makes sense to you. That way you don't have to be sucha drill sargent walking down the hall!

7. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

Pet Peeve

I hate the whole walk-in-a-line thing.

I don't stress it. My classes eventually ended up in a line but we just "gather" in a spot before we go to another place in the building. I do teacher respect for others in the school.

My :2cents:

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2011

We're preschool, not kindergarten. All I really care about is that we are safe, relatively quiet and we all get to our destination. They have to use walking feet and stay behind me - other than that I don't worry about it much.

If we have a drill or emergency, a line doesn't really help - the high schoolers don't respect it so I flank the kids with the parent volunteers and they hold the rope to keep the big kids away from the little kids. I grab a big parachute for the kids to sit on so it is a visual of where we are supposed to be and we sing the time away.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2011

I taught kinder next to a preschool. Normally, they had their kids walk in a line without a rope, but it wasn't super straight or anything. They just used slow walking feet and quiet whispers.

For preK, I think that would be appropriate. In kinder is when I see it being a bit more strict: straight line, hands at sides, etc.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

Yep, my kinder teachers have always been pleased that my children are aware of what a line should look like, and they make rudimentary efforts to replicate one. In Kinder they are still struggling with the whole straight line idea....so I see no reason your para should be stressing over it now. Just praise the approximation and move on.....in my opinion.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 26, 2011

Special situations call for creative solutions. Teaching a child how to walk in a line is helping them learn a life skill. They need practice and guidance. When they understand that the line help get the class to the playground, etc., you can stop teaching.

Sometimes you have to help children learn and interalize habits so they can become proficient.