Danielson Model of Teacher Evals - How Do You Get a 4?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissNikki, Mar 26, 2014.

1. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Mar 26, 2014

I've heard nightmarish things about the Danielson Model of teacher evaluations. I've also heard that you're not expected or even supposed to earn a 4, the highest score. Anyone know what is needed in order to get that? :dizzy:

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 26, 2014

We use the Charlotte Danielson model. I haven't heard anything specific about it being near impossible to get a 4, but the rubric does get pretty demanding.
    You can find what they call the Framework for Teaching Evaluation Instrument here.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 26, 2014

I sit on a committee for teacher evaluations in my district, so I feel like all I've done is over-analyze this rubric. You may get Distinguished in some components, but nobody's overall rating is truly Distinguished. As my program said, you "visit" Distinguished but you don't "live" there. Proficient is the expectation.

Moving from Proficient to Distinguished in a component is really about being student centered versus teacher centered. They want to see kids talking, collaborating, and working without you really. You are more of a facilitator than a coach. The evidence is spelled out in the rubric itself.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2014

This. But the overachiever in me wants the highest score possible...and if I fail to earn than then I feel like a failure. Blah.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 26, 2014

Not possible!

I just had my eval and I ended up with 2 Basic, 8 Proficient, and 5 Distinguished components. I tend to do well in Domains 2, 3, and 4...but not as well in Domain 1. (Got nailed on thorough assessment and some nitpicky stuff about how detailed my lesson plans are.)

Thing is, those ARE areas of weaknesses for me. I know I need to diversify my assessments, get a better grading system, be less lazy with planning....I didn't expect Distinguished in those areas. I really like that someone can't just give me one overall rating. That's not very useful. With this rubric, I can reflect better and set goals for myself.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 26, 2014

Some if the student centeredness for a 4 is ridiculous at certain grade levels. Having 5th graders come up with their own system of record keeping? I'll take a 3 in that and be in charge of it myself, thank you. :).

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 27, 2014

We use it. I've been there two years and I've always gotten 3s and 4s. This last year we piloted the new eval. I was so close to distinguished. Once I hit it though (if I do) it seems hard to stay there.

9. teacherbatman

teacherbatman Companion

Mar 27, 2014

I wonder if this is how some kids feel when they don't get an A... :blush:

(Not calling you a kid btw, I'm implying that nobody likes the implication that they are "not good enough." It merely affects the kid's self-image much more)

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2014

We use the Danielson model, and my principal also says that it's natural that we not live at a 4. She doesn't prevent us from earning them, though. On my first evaluation this year I earned 4 4's and 1 3. I haven't had my second evaluation yet.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2014

No doubt.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2014

My evaluater flat-out told me that it would be impossible for me to score "highly-effective" in the area of professional knowledge on my evaluation last year, in September, because I was too new of a teacher. It was extremely demoralizing to be told that after earning MA+30 status and a state endorsement in gifted ed, in addition to being chosen to help write the district pacing guide due to my knowledge of the curriculum.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2014

(not a Danielson complaint... not sure if our system is based on Danielson or not. Just a general "not being able to score at the highest level sucks" complaint)

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2014

We use the Marzano model, which is basically the Danielson model. We don't get 4s on the classroom component at my school. Rumors swirling that the DO basically told evaluators not to give them. No one will ever earn an overall 4 for the evaluation. Kind of a shady deal, seeing as we now have pay-for-performance and there's a separate bonus for earning an overall 4.