Dancing at the Dances

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lucybelle, Aug 6, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

When your school has dances or prom, do you dance?

I love dancing, and we have this big dance on Friday at the school. A great salsa group is going to play and even my husband wants to come! (which is a miracle, usually he drops me off at school events and then waits at a bar:lol:) I love dancing salsa with my esposo, it's not inappropriate to dance with him, right? Do you dance at your school's dances? :cool:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

No.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

It depends on the culture of the school, and the community. I usually don't, though I have danced with my students on occasion at drama practice. At one dance a few of the teachers were dancing in the lobby, sort of making fun of the students.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

I in elementary...we don't have dances. When I taught in a k-8 school, I went to one dance...I danced with a few teachers...bout only a few songs...and NOT on the tables!:D sometimes some colleagues and I will go to our PTO dinner dance fundraiser...again, we'll dance and we have fun, but we are always mindful that we're at a school function.
    Lucy...do teachers generally bring spouses to school dances?

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

At my school we are encouraged to bring dates to events. Especially something like prom - that means more chaperones!

Many teachers do dance, many do not. I think it is just a personal preference.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

It's less of a school dance, and more of a school event with a dance at the end. We are encouraged to bring family, especially since it's a fundraiser for the school :)

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

I dance a little bit, but only with the other teachers. :)

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

When I taught high school I chaperoned three dances and did not dance. I also went with my hubby when he went to the prom for his school and we didn't dance there either.

I would say in your case though, since it's a fundraiser and you've been encouraged to bring family, dancing with your esposo would not be seen as inappropriate. You know, assuming you keep the dancing appropriate :).

10. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I stil giggle at the sight of teachers dancing at a school event

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

I did one school dance when I was student teaching. I was actually sort of in charge of it, because my master teacher was the main person behind everything (setting it up, organizing, etc) and he had to call in sick that day.
    I danced a little with the girls (7-8 graders) in a group, nothing flashy or crazy, and not with any of the boys.

I think it would be ok to dance with your SO especially if they're encouraged to come. Maybe you can set a great example of how to dance classy. I'm not sure how it is CR, but in the US teenagers think dancing is basically acting like you're having s.x. They need to see how it's done right.

12. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

Having grown up going to cross generational parties where grandmas and grandpas danced along side the babies and everyone in between I say it's GREAT to see older (than teens) dancing. Especially when it is partner dancing. In the past some of my students have seen me dance and I agree - it is important that they see that dancing isn't just a prelude to something sexual, but that it can be a great cultural event. on a side note - last week at an outdoor dance event I watched a mom with her maybe early teen or preteen, dancing swing dance. They looked GREAT - nothing inappropriate.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 6, 2013

I've been known to jump in when the "Cupid Shuffle" comes on! ;)

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

I will dance for a song or 2. Sometimes with other teachers, sometimes with a group of students. I don't dance well, and the students think I'm a goofball anyway, so no biggie for me at my school.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

To elaborate, I wouldn't dance as a student either...so remember that when I say I wouldn't as a teacher. :)

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2013

Last dance I chaperoned, two of my students dragged me out onto the dance floor. It was quick and painless to shuffle through one song, and it made them happy. Otherwise, I'm a terrible dancer, especially considering I don't like most current popular music (my tastes are frozen somewhere around 1992).

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

At our graduation party last year I danced with all the kids and teachers. We also had a few music things throughout the years and I always dance with the kids. I love dancing!!! :D

I just told my esposo he's not allowed to do any of the sexy moves while we dance on Friday. He said "aww, but those are all the fun moves!" :lol:

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 6, 2013

At our graduation dance, I danced with the younger teachers and the students. It was a blast! The kids this year have a lot to live up to:)

19. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

Yes, I dance to draw some of the shy-to-get-started-but-secretly-want-to-dance kids onto the dance floor.