Daily Take Home Binders?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by k.contreras, Jul 17, 2008.

1. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 17, 2008

This is my 2nd year teaching pre k, but technically this will be my first full year because last school year I was on maternity leave from Aug. to Dec. I was suppose to teach 2nd grade which I had done for 3 years but before I went back they told me I was going to be teaching pre k. Big shock for me. So, my question is, in 2nd grade I used what some call MOOSE binders mine were called BEE books, has anyone used them for pre k and if so, does it work. I love to be organized and when I went back to work I pretty much just continued with what the perma-sub was doing so that I didn't mess up the kids so much. This year, I'd like to start things off the right way and these books were one of my ideas. Also, if you did use them what did you put in them for pre k? Thanks:)

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 18, 2008

Absolutely, I use them in pre-k very successfully and I love them! :2up: I have a whole page about using BEAR (Bring Everything Always Ready) books in the pre-k classroom at my website. You can see pictures and read explanations there.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

When I interviewed for my job three years ago, I thought I was interviewing for K and when I walked in they told me that it had been changed to Pre-K. :eek:hmy: I was unsure at the time because I had been teaching 1st grade the year before.... ANYWAY, I was scared and unsure. HOWEVER, it's been the BEST teaching thing that's happened to me. :) I checked out the internet to see if I could find some good Pre-K sites. Mrs. Levin's www.pre-kpages.com was the best. If it doesn't quite fit what you want, she has some really good links to follow. There are other sites that are good too. You can check the Favorite Website sticky thread on General Education. There were some I hadn't even tried....

I send Thursday folders home with my students... similar to your BEE books but once a week. I've been thinking about doing BEAR books, but I've got to convince myself that they would come back everyday before I can convince them. So many of my darlings have a backpack full of stuff the parents never look at and they barely look at the Thursday folder.

Last year I added a Nursery Rhyme folder that we put together all year and sent home at the end. I haven't decided what extra project to add this year, maybe it will be a BEAR book or some sort of student written book.... (going to read Already Ready in a few days.... I saw a thread on Elementary about Writing Binders and it's hit a curious streak in me about Pre-K.... ok I won't hi-jack here...)

Whatever you decide, just realize you will have to teach Pre-K kiddos EVERY step, more than once. Even though I already knew that, I was still a little surprised my first year. Good luck. Ask anything.... we'll try to help you. :hugs:

5. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

B.E.E. books

PreK through 4th is going to be using them at my school this year. I am very excited about this- I had read on vanna's site and some others about them. You might want to modify, according to how your program runs.:p

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

I use the BEARS book & love the whole concept! I'm thinking of changing it to the BEE (Bring Everything Everyday) book this year, I think the acronym is easier for PK to 'get'. We do not allow backpacks because everything goes to the bottom never to be seen again. :crosseyed Each child brings a change of clothes in a zip lock bag with name. These are kept in their cubbies. Those that stay for nap bring a blanket the first day of the week & it remains with their cot until the end of week. No need for backpacks!!
    Really stress at the beginning the importance of bringing their binders everyday to both children & parents. Also, I keep their reading calendar in their binder & check it daily. No binder that day, no sticker, even if they read. I do not back track & place a sticker a day or two later (unless absent of course). It doesn't take too many times of not getting that sticker & the children are putting the pressure on the parents! ;)

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

I am doing the binders with my kiddos as well, and got a wealth of insight from vannapk's website...I haven't decide which acronym to use, and might bo with bears and bees...since my class is divided as bears and bees...(2/3yo - bees - 4/5 yo bears)
    I still have some time - hehe
    but am very excited!

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 18, 2008

I am frogs in my class ~ so I am trying to think of a catchy slogan for that! LOL

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

There's a list of over 100 different acronyms for the BEAR books to go with many themes somewhere on the net. I try to find it for you and post a link.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

Thanks so much! :)

12. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 19, 2008

What kind of reading calendar do you keep in their binder? Could you give me an example of one. Thanks!

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 19, 2008

Each month a calendar is placed in their binder. I use Greetings workshop to print the calendar, then run copies on the copier at school (printshop or other calendar maker will do the same). We ask the parents to read to their children 15 minutes a day & record the title of the book, minutes read & intial it daily. On Monday, I place a sticker on the days filled in the previous Friday-Sunday. Tues., for Mon., etc. Each day of the calendar looks like this:
    Minutes read___
    Title of book___

14. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Take Home Binder statement/question

I am thinking of using a take home binder in my classroom this year as well. I am a little nervous though, I know that the parents that I usually work with have a hard time keeping up with things.
    I have a statement/question:
    The school usually provides us with a really nice plastic 2 pocket folder labeled with return to school and keep at home sides for each of our students. I love the folders! BUT, I like the idea of the binders as well, do you think it would be a good idea to hole punch the folder and incorporate it into my binder. I don't want to add too much to the binder because they may not take the time to actually read it. These are the things I am going to place in the binder so far:
    -zippered pouch for money and a pencil (maybe a sharpener as well)
    -reading log
    -take home folder-mentioned above-not sure though
    -school system/school/classroom calendar and newsletter
    -daily behavior/communication sheet

Please let me know what you think about the addition of the folders.

Thanks!:)

15. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 20, 2008

I think adding the folder would be a good idea. I was also thinking of putting in a folder like that as well because we used only that folder in class last year, but papers were always falling out and the folders would tear...

How is you daily behavior sheet?
    I am looking for a good one to use this year anyone have any I could look at?

16. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

My daily behavior sheet is another problem as well. I am looking for a new one. I usually take the time to write a very short blurb, (unless the child has gotten into big trouble) for each child each day. It is maybe 1 or 2 sentences.

Last year I used the happy face, straight face, sad face clothespin deal because I had a pretty good class that did not get into much trouble. Most of them pretty much hated to get into any type of trouble really.

I am thinking of using the card system for this year. The k teachers at my school use it and I want to get in line with that since most of my kids stay for k at the school. So I need to think of another type of behavior sheet to use for this.

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

What is the :confused:Card System?

18. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

The K teachers at my school have a red, green and yellow card for each student in a library type pocket. The colors are defined like Green=good day, yellow=ok day red=bad day. I have also heard of some people adding other colors, but I am not real sure how they include the other colors.

19. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I use them in K. I have a Froggy Folder (Folder for Responsibility, Organization, and Good Grades...Yippee!

I like the notebook paper as a way to keep track of communications. It came in handy this year when I was having problems with a parent.