Daily Schedule?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teach2reach, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

Hi AtoZ friends,
    How does my daily schedule look? I am open to suggestions! Thanks so much.
    -Gina

Daily Schedule

8:45 Children arrive
    Lunch Count
    Put away belongings
    Write assignments and hand book in to get it signed
    Daily math activity
    9:10 Attendance and review of math activity

9:15 Math
    Review homework
    Answer all questions
    Begin the day's lesson (differentiated learning-teach, practice, review)
    10:00 Social Studies/Science

10:40 Recess

11:10 Lunch

11:40 Language Arts ("Making Meaning"- reading)

1:00 Specials

1:40 Language Arts (writing, daily edit, and "Making Meaning")

2:30 Recess

2:45 Pack up belongings
    Monday -spelling pretest
    Tuesday - handwriting
    Wednesday - handwriting and spelling
    Thursday - handwriting
    Friday - spelling test
    3:05 Language Arts (author study, read aloud, reading/writing activities)

3:35 Seated with book and ready for dismissal

3. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

For me, 45 minutes of math time that includes time to review homework and answer questions wouldn't be enough, but I teach two grades so I don't know how it'd be with one. I also prefer to do math and reading/language arts in the morning, since my kids are so restless after lunch, but it doesn't look like that'd work well with your school's recess schedule and I definitely think math in the morning works well. I'm confused on the packing up belongings--do they need any of those belongings to do the rest of their work?

You have an early lunchtime! How does that work out? I guess at least you don't have kids complaining they're hungry, though!

4. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

3littlemonkeys,
    The 45 minutes of math was never enough last year. We always went 10 minutes over into Science. I'll have to play that by ear.

I know I dislike having recess so early and then lunch at 11:10 AM!! The kids actually complain about being hungry later in the day. You want what you can't have right? LOL

I have them pack up their belongings at 2:45 because the rest of the schedule is handwriting and spelling activities that I supply. Read aloud is me reading or them reading a book at school, then we have no worries about packing up early etc.

Thanks for you input!

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 21, 2008

I agree with 3littlemonkeys. If at all possible reading and math should be scheduled for the morning. I would also hope that your schedule is not set in stone. Students can be pulled out for various reasons, AIS, speech, OT, PT, etc. and this could have an impact on your scheduling. Do you plan on teaching SS and Science at the same time, or do one subject for 2 or 3 weeks and then switch? That is what I do.
    I also find that at the end of the days students have had it. I usually allow the last 20 minutes as free time - computers, quiet games, lego building, drawing. This allows me to wind down too.

6. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

Janlee,
    I do not think it is a possibility for me to fit reading in the morning. I agree with you though. My schedule is not set in stone yet, I have a little bit more time to play around with it. I think with SS and Science I plan on having on one week M-W-F SS and T-Th Science then switch it the following week.

Good point, last year I did have a few issues with some of my energetic kids not wanting to sit and read. I then would allow them to color. It is difficult for me to let them play because we all need to be able to hear the loud speaker; so everyone can leave on time and on the right bus.

Thanks for your suggestions!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2008

My overall feeling is you have a WHOLE lot of literacy instruction and hardly enough math. I would make one of the periods at the end of the day math again. They can practice math facts, do a math game, etc. They will need more time for math. By third grade, many are honing their reading skills, but math really becomes harder for many kids. I would spend more time on writing and more time on math. Ease up on the reading a little bit.

It looks like you have 140 minutes of literacy time and only about 55 minutes of math. You have some time to spare in there somewhere!

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

My concern with packing up so early in the day is that it might signal to your students that the day is over and that they don't have to work (at least as hard) after that point, even though they still have almost an hour to go. Has that been a problem in the past or is this your first year of doing that?

I found it interesting that your students get recess (outside of lunch) throughout the day. Is that common with everyone? I don't believe our students get an extra recess after 1st/2nd grade at my school, so I always forget about that.

Does your district mandate a certain length of time for your content areas? My school gave us our schedules for this year and we have to do 95 minutes of math a day, which I think is the perfect amount, given all that we do.

Here is my schedule just so you can see a different layout:

8:15-8:25 Morning Announcements
    8:25-10:00 Reading
    10:00-10:30 Walk-to-Read
    10:30-11:10 Specials
    11:10-11:45 Writing
    11:45-12:15 Lunch
    12:15-1:50 Math
    1:50-2:50 Science/Social Studies
    2:50-3:00 Wrap-Up

9. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

We do get a lot of recess here. I teach at a different school than my elementary-aged children attend, so I have their district plus my own school in mind when I say that. At their school, they have recess at 10 am, after eating lunch, and 2 pm. Not entirely sure how long they last.

At my school, the kids have recess at 9:45 am (15 min) and 11:30 am (15 min) and then again at 3:00 (30 min) although my school includes extended care in the tuition cost, so I'm unsure if the 3 pm recess counts as during school hours or after school.

Here is my schedule:
    8:30 - 8:45 Journal writing, pledge
    8:45 - 9:45 Math
    9:45 - 10:00 Recess
    10:00 - 11:30 Reading/Language Arts
    11:30 - 12:30 Recess, Lunch
    12:30 - 12:45 Silent Reading
    12:45 - 1:00 Spelling
    1:00 - 1:30 Science
    1:30 - 2:00 Social Studies
    2:00 - 2:15 Misc time to finish work, clean up room
    2:15 - 2:30 Read-Aloud
    2:30 - 3:00 PE
    3:00 - 3:30 Recess
    3:30 - 5:30 Indoor Activities (games, etc. during extended care)

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2008

I have a very short day and LOTS of recess. This is my approximate schedule for next year. It seems I have a lot less literacy and math than many of you, but I am lucky to have a TA and a small class, so the ratio is 7:1.

8:45-9:00 arrival and centers (math activities, rotated each day with a different table, so they all do one a week. Will reinforce skills for the week.)
    9:00-9:20- journal writing to a prompt, or publishing
    9:20-9:50 Morning Meeting (This includes a math game each day. This also includes some science and social studies read aloud picture book and lesson many days.)
    9:50-10:45 Writer's workshop AND word work
    10:45-11:15 RECESS
    11:15-12:00 Math (guided math groups)
    12:00-12:40 Lunch and recess
    12:40- 1:30 Reader's workshop (includes a quiet reading time after they come in from recess and a read aloud as well as instruction.)
    1:30-2:45 Specials on MON and WED
    1:30-2:45 Science, social studies or project time- this can also be more math, or more literacy on TUE, THU and FRI
    2:45- Clean up and closing meeting (then dismissal)

They also have a 45 minute library period somewhere in this schedule once a week, but I don't know where yet. We also have a 1/2 hour assembly every Friday, and twice a month go swimming on Friday, so we are jam-packed!

This does work out to 120 minutes of literacy, which is absolutely amazing, considering how limited my time feels! I have about an hour of math (including the centers) plus whatever we do during morning meeting, which is only about 10 minutes. Last year I OFTEN used the afternoon for more math instruction at least one day a week, and that is another hour and 15 minutes.

Per week, it probably ends up the same as many of the other teachers... I'm not sure though because it sure feels short!

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

:eek: That must be nice! I'm sure I'll be at 32:1 in no time.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2008

It's true. I really think if classes were smaller (and I think all classes for ALL grades should be capped at 15) recess wouldn't be considered such a "time waster." With 14 or 15 kids you CAN meet with each one and have small groups, and have their needs met. I love that they get play time and art time and all those other things kids need. I could do 3 hours a day of academics, and probably be perfectly fine and have them doing the same kinds of activities other teachers do and at the same level of work. It's simply that they have more time with the teacher, so I can assess more, talk to them more and work one on one more. Sorry to hijack again!

13. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

I wholeheartedly agree, MissFroggy. Last year I had 28 students and I will have a similar number next year. Over the summer I'm going to have probably around 35. Thankfully we don't do many instructional activities over the summer! I find it hard enough to teach separate lessons for 2nd grade and 3rd grade (I match up subject matter and teach the whole class whenever possible, but it's not always possible)...with that many students, I just don't get the one-on-one or small group time I wish I could spend with them. I'm revamping reading and language arts next year to teach both during the same block of time, so that while some are doing their language book work, I'm doing guided reading with a group--but it's going to take me all week to get to everybody, so each group will only do guided reading with me once a week. But that's a step up from the big fat zero we did this past year.