Daily schedule help!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iloveschool, Jul 29, 2011.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I am having a hard time putting together my daily schedule- what do yall think?

8-8:15 announcements/journals (preset)
    8:15-9:00 phonics/spelling
    9:00-9:45- PE (preset)
    9:45-10:35 social studies
    10:35-11:05 lunch (preset)
    11:05-12:40 reading
    12:40-1:10 recess/computers (preset)
    1:10-2:00 math
    2:00-2:50 science
    2:50-3:15 tutorials

I can not change anything that is preset by the office. I would like to have reading in the morning, but would have to split it on either side of PE. I think gettting restarted afterwards would be a problem. I would like to be finished with a subject before each preset time frame. I also have to coordinate my reading time with the RTI teacher. I teach first grade if that helps any.

What do yall think? Any suggestions??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2011

That is a long time for phonics/spelling instruction. And where would you fit in writing?

4. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 29, 2011

We do Saxon phonics and have a lesson everyday as well as an additional spelling lesson. So I guess that is really two preps. Writing and language are incorporated with reading. Now--- this is what other teachers have told me. I can arrange it differently if I wish. I am not sure how much time each should take. I know reading is a big chunk, especially if language and writing are incorporated. We follow a reading program- journeys. Also, our journals are considered writing time, but 15 minutes at the begining of the day? This is why i am worried and confused!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

What about morning meeting or read aloud?

FWIW, I've done it both ways and prefer math in the morning. They are much more attentive at that time.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

You also have a really long time for social studies. Where in lunch in your schedule? I think splitting reading over pe will be fine--especially if you had pe in between reading groups, like did 2 groups, went to pe, came back and did 2 groups.

7. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Lunch is from 10:35-11:05
    I taught pre-k for four years before getting this job and want to do a morning meeting, but was told we are all about academics- not fluff. I am going to make time to read to them each day. I think it is so important for them to hear you read to them for pleasure. I may take time from ss and call it oral reading and incorporate morning meeting and read alouds. What do yall think about that?

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

I am going to have to split my reading time this year. I am going to do my mini-lesson, read aloud, and partner reading before recess, and then silent reading and guided reading when they come back. It will be 90 minutes altogether, but 45 minutes before and after recess.

I think it's fine to split reading. I would cut social studies a little bit and make time for a morning meeting- which will cover some of the social studies standards, if you work it right!

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

You can do morning meeting and still address academic goals. Do you do the Responsive Classroom format?

Greeting: Language Arts/Social Studies: Speaking and listening, meeting social goals.
    Sharing: language Arts: public speaking, listening, asking questions
    Activitiy: do an oral phonics game, sight word game, or word wall game
    Morning message: Literacy skills

It's not fluff, and you still address the standards.

10. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I totally agree with you!! I understand it can be academic, but the other teachers see me as a pre-k teacher and they consider it fluff. I guess they think I am going to sing them a song and dance with my tamborine!! LOL

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

:thumb: I think that would work well!

12. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

Could you just call it calendar time instead of morning meeting?