Daily Oral Language

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Erin12170, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Erin12170

Erin12170 New Member

Jul 2, 2009

Hi! I teach 2nd grade and am considering doing a morning D.O.L (daily oral language) activity instead of journal writing as I did last year. I want each child to have a notebook to do the daily activities so that I can check and correct them. Any experience with this or suggestions? Thanks!!!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 3, 2009

Evan Moor publishes a Daily Language Review book for each grade level. I have used it in the past and have had success with it. You might want to check it out.

4. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I also use the Evan Moor book for DOL (in 4th grade). It's fantastic. My kids all scored high on their state test this year too in language and I think the daily review really helped them. Each day we would discuss "WHY" we made the corrections we did, which really helped them understand.

5. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 5, 2009

I do DOL with my 3rd grade as part of our morning routine. When they come in, there is always 1 or 2 sentences on the smartboard. They know to start working right away. They write the sentence incorrectly(as it is on the board) and make the corrections in red. Later that morning, we go over the corrections together. They get to go to the Smartboard and make corrections for everyone. We discuss the corrections each day. They get 5 sentences total between M-Th. On Thursday after we make corrections, they put their notebooks in their backpacks to study for the next day's test. They usually do pretty well on the tests. The first couple of weeks we do sentences together. The first test is like 2 weeks into the school year. Good luck.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I do DOL with my students. Most of mine have a very hard time copying off the board so I copy the page out of the book for them, and place it in their binder. Each page has two weeks and they turn it in at the end of the two weeks.

7. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I use the Evan Moor Daily Language Review and have had great success with my kids. They learned so much more using it. I like how the complexity of the problems is introduced as they progress through the year. (It gets harder as they go!)

One thing I'll do different this year: Make their copies to put in a notebook for them that I may have them put in a bin or something. I was making weekly copies for them and they could never find it! If it gets in their desk or even the "Work in Progress" folder I made them they couldn't keep up with it. I go over them with them each day and check them at the end of the week.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 6, 2009

I used Evan Moore for my 5th graders and they actually liked doing it. The trick for me was to buy one of those squishy balls that are tennis ball sized. I write the sentences on the board incorrectly and toss a ball to students to help me make the correction. The balss became very popular; many students brought some to add to the collection, they all had names, they had their favorites, etc :lol:

The only thing is the copies...I was going through about 65 a week (2 classes + kids who lose things) and it really eats away at my copy count. This year I'm going to alternate weeks: 1 week DOL and 1 week journal writing.

9. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 6, 2009

That's why I would write them on the Smartboard. For those who don't have a SmartBoard, I would write them on my whiteboard, and they had to copy them down. Occasionally I would need to send a copy home for those students whose papers could not be read by the parents to help them study. It is great practice for them to copy off of the board. Granted it is a learned skill so I give them alot of time at the beginning of the year. Eventually they pick it up. The only copies I made on a regular basis was the test each week. Oh I forgot to mention that they get the same sentences that are on the test- they just get them in a different order during the week.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I've done this in the past, but quit because I wasn't having much success. We did sentences every day and I gave the same sentences (in the same order) as a quiz on Friday and most students failed. I like the idea of doing one week on, one week off. Maybe I'll try it again.