Daily Objectives

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jun 15, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

Ooh, I saw this too put it in my cart to 'buy later' LOL!

Then, however, I saw this great idea and thought it looked cheaper - free to be exact!

http://mrsmoormansclass.shutterfly.com/pictures/132

I figure next year I'll just put the objective next to the subject.

I think that putting objectives next to the subjects will help ME keep on schedule and also help get the students more vested into the lesson.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

That's what I do except it is more of an agenda than a lesson. I've also seen people use sentence strips. They write one for each objective and laminate them then put them up as they use them. One person put up the ones taught for that month or unit in each of the curriculum subjects as mini bulletin boards and then beside it posted work that correlated to at least one of them.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

I use the sentence strips that are laminated. Easy to make and can be reused as necessary.

The poster that you want is 2 feet by 1.5 feet, so it's not that small.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

I just went to a great workshop called Classroom Instruction that Works . One of the big issues they talk about is the importance of setting a meaningful objective that can be personalized by the student, is not too specific and is flexible. If they are too specific or in a "behavioral objective format" the students have trouble identifying with them.

So instead of saying, "Students will demonstrate mastery of subject verb agreement" you would say, "Students will understand how to determine if the subject and verb of a sentence match." Then you'd have them identify specifically what they need to work on personally in that lesson. One kid might say, "I need to know how find the subject of the sentence so I can make sure the verb matches." Another kid might say "I need to know when to add an "s" to the end of a verb" or whatever their personal issue might be. You could come up with 4 or 5 as a class if students are struggling to do it on their own to get them thinking.

Basically the belief of this system is that if we take a good amount of time to set the objective and really personalize it, the students will be more motivated throughout the lesson. It's something we will try in our building next year.

One thing they said to avoid is confusing listing your activities with your goal/objective. Those should be independent of each other.

Just food for thought!

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

I like that idea, its easy to create. I'm thinking about creating the basics in kid friendly language. its my summer goal. I know that objectives and what were doing that day is different. I think that conference would be helpful.

Honestly, my problem is that I don't keep up with it. I put up what we do daily, but I don't put up the state objectives like our principal requires. Thanks for the ideas.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

I put up a weekly objective for each subject. What is the main topic we are covering and keep it at that. Changing it each day is just one more thing to do, that does not happen.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

I put up weekly objectives as well. I usually have one for social studies/science, 2 for math (computation and problem solving/communication), two for reading (vocabulary, comprehension), and three for writing (spelling, grammar, and writing).

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

That is 8/9 objectives. I usually have 3 or 4 tops. Even at that, they do not all get updated every week. I try and stay on top of it, but there are so many other things we need to do as well.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

I have magnetic schedule cards on my whiteboard, and then I just write the objective next to each subject.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

LOL, the link was slow to open--mine is very similar to the picture Zoerba posted.

13. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jun 15, 2011

We are required to do daily learning goals for each subject. I just printed a sheet out that says: Today I will learn to... and then have each subject on a seperate card. I laminated them and placed them on my white board much like the picture above. It works well. If anyone wants my copy I would be glad to share if you contact me :)

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

We are "required" to as well.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

We are required to do a content and language objective for Lang arts and math daily. The lang arts content objective can last the whole week, but the language objective should vary.

I just write mine on the board, but I want to do something different for next year. Mostly because I don't love my writing. :)

16. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

I just found this previous thread with some good ideas on color coding.

forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=39153&page=3

17. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

18. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

I use one of the $1 pocket charts from Target, laminate the white cards that come inside of them, and write each objective on each on in dry erase marker. Way cheaper than buying a poster!

19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 16, 2011

I only teach language arts, so my objectives are single subject. I write them on the one side of my front board in the format: "I can analyze a story . . .". I don't use "the student will..." because I thought that was too impersonal. I have a child read out the objectives each day and they are then saying them in first person. I like what bandnerdtx does as far as having the kids state what they need to do to reach the objective.

20. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

I created a space on my white board with subjects listed and then ripped the idea from one poster I saw---sorry, I can't remember which one it's from. But here's some of the ideas:

We will work on long vowels A,E,I,O,U.

We will work on multiplication facts 1-10.

The kids got the idea of our goals in a lump sum and I didn't have to use up my precious time each day changing it, since the lessons are week long any ways. Sometimes I wrote examples or hung up small index card pictures next to the goals (scored extra points with my P for meeting ESOL teaching!)