Daily math 3

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rabbitt, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2016

Anyone using the model?
    I was thinking math by myself, math facts, and math games.
    I have not read the book on this, but the sisters have math writing as one of the three.
    I am unsure how math writing will take up 15-20 minute slots.
    Grade 2

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 9, 2016

I just started to use the Daily 3 in math in my first grade classroom. I had done what I thought was a version of the daily 3 in math, but it was far off. I never read the chapter either, but once I finally got my hands on it and read the chapter at the end of April of this year, I discovered exactly how wrong I was! I have math facts, math by myself, math with a buddy, math technology, and writing about math. Then I select who I work with at the teacher table or a rotate or conference.

I read the chapter and went in the next day and we (my district math coach and I- we sat down and planned together and they she came in to observe it in action- I asked her to be brutal- tear it apart because I needed to fix my math block) did it- it was not difficult because I have been doing Daily Five in ELA for about six years and the kids had the BEST response to it! It is the best math instruction I have done. I am blown away by it. I was excited because my child who got frustrated and cried was no longer crying during math and she said it was because she "got a break" (station time between teaching/minilessons and working with teacher) and it was true- this methodology saved my children from frustration and it saved me, too! Now I love math and the kids get that brain break/ processing time between focus lessons and can better grasp the content. I adore it!Plus, it was easy to plan! We use everyday math and it just flows perfectly! Planning each lesson is quick and easy- my biggest issue of course is staying true to the time limits and staying focused with the I do, you do, we do and not dragging it out. It is effective.

My kids do each station for 20 minutes and for writing about math we use our math journals- just a blank blue book and they have to write a number story and solve it. Sometimes they have an answer and need to give me problems that would have that answer, sometimes we use fact practice sheets- like the solve the fact and color hidden picture fun pages, my kids have to analyze our daily graph and complete their graph page daily. All of these combined add up to the 20 minutes in writing about math. We have extra math fact houses they have to make if they have extra time. Writing about math is definitely something I need to improve upon- it is a struggle to get my kids to pick it as a choice. Lots of choices and options seems to be what I have used this year, but like you said 20 minutes is a long time to fill for them to independently be writing about math. It is tough!

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2016

Thank you! You are encouraging.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 10, 2016

I tried it last year. I like your plan of doing math facts instead of math writing. Math writing was VERY tough for my 2nd graders to do independently, even with a lot of modeling.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2016

What did you do for math writing? Explain an answer to a math problem will get old? Write word problems? I see importance to these but it will get old quickly.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 11, 2016

I did my own version... always do! I had 4 stations, and each group went to 1 per day.

1. Math by myself - a station for independent math work. Sometimes it was a worksheet, other times it was a card/dice game that could be played alone. Often it was something on the iPads. Sometimes it was reading math books or writing about math (i.e. we made a class book about representing numbers).

2. Math with someone - this was always a choice of games we'd learned as a class.

3. Math with tools - a station that required some sort of math tool or manipulative.

4. Math with the teacher -small group, leveled instruction

We did stations 4/5 days per week and we did them for about 20 minutes per day (in grade 2). The groups were skill based so I could differentiate instruction for the group with me and I could adapt the other stations to meet needs. We always ended our time with a brief discussion about anything groups had learned at their station and any tips they may have for someone going to that station tomorrow. We only have 1 hour for math per day so I couldn't do all 4 rotations in a day - that wouldn't leave much time for any sort of whole group instruction/exploration.

MrsC likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2016

I really like this! May adapt it somewhat to use with my grade 7s next year!

MissScrimmage likes this.
  9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 11, 2016

We use math expressions, and there are actually leveled "math writing" questions in the teacher manual at the end of each lesson. They varied quite a bit, depending on the lesson, but they usually involved the kids writing a problem, or solving a problem and explaining how they did so. I would sometimes make up my own prompts like "The answer is 14. What is the question?" And they had to write as many problems as they could.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2016

I really like this.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 13, 2016

I loved this format! I felt like I could finally meet learning needs in math, like I could with guided reading. Everyone could work at their own level and it really helped to 'fill in the gaps'.