Daily Helpers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2004

What do some of you think of having a daily helper...or more than one? What works for you? I usually choose someone who has been good (at random) but many times everyone has been quite good...so then what?????

3. Juls

Juls Guest

Aug 23, 2004

Preschool Teacher

I have a helper chart that rotates through all of the children. I have a helper for calender, ABC chart, and weather and a different helper for line leader. The kids look forward to their turn and know that as a helper you are a special person and that you are to be an example to others. It is a lot easier for the kids to be able to see who is next or when their turn is coming up, so there is less fighting over who is leader or helper. It will make the day alot easier.

4. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 23, 2004

I do what Juls does, also. The kids can predict what they'll be doing next, it eliminates the "I never get to...." and they learn to read each other's names very quickly! By December many of my kids can identify about half the names because we read them everyday.

5. Kteach'in

Kteach'in Guest

Aug 24, 2004

I have a dry erase board and various jobs on cards with a magnet to stick to the board. I have the kids sign in each day and drop their name into a box. Then, at calendar time, I pick out 5 names at random, and kids write their names next to the jobs they want. I try to keep things as random as possible but make up for it by giving them a lot of power and choice (writing their own name, chosing their own job). Many times life is unpredictable, and I like that this teaches kids that they may not get a turn this time but maybe will next time. It teaches fairness in a more practicle way, because in society there aren't rules for whose turn it is everywhere you go- people have to be patient and wait and not be livid when someone violates their rules. I learned this in Italy, where there is no such thing as lines. The person that goes next is the one that is able to get their attention known and everyone kind of stands in a big choatic pile, there is not an evident order like I know of in the US. However, you know you will get a turn, you know people aren't out to get you, and you know they system isn't against you. You just got to pay attention and catch on.

Good luck!

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 24, 2004

I have a helper of the day. Having different jobs just never worked for me--although I have ESE pre-k children. I have a chart on the front bulletin board with all the children's symbol down in a column. Then I move the helper arrow in order daily. This way, the children know who will be next.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2004

I have a helper of the day. I pick sticks in homeroom. The student has to arrive on time to get picked. At the end of the day, the helper writes one comment about the day in a journal book.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2004

I agree with kteach'in about the learning to wait and the thought on 'no lines"...which prompts me to say, I never ever line my preschool kids up for anything. We all go as a group...no fighting over line leaders and bragging that they are the line leaders...etc. Unfortunatley, others do line their kids up (teachers before me) and it creates pushing and shoving.

9. Janiece

Janiece Guest

Aug 27, 2004

I have a job for every child every day, using a rotation. It really works well for me. My jobs: Calendar (puts piece on), Today is (puts word up), Weather (puts up weather symbol), Dress the Bear, Snack (2) (one hands out cups, the other napkins), Prayer (chooses prayer), Leader (this child gets to be the "teacher" as the year progresses - leads the calendar time), Book (chooses a book to share with class), Song (chooses a song to sing with class), Markers (hands out the whiteboard markers).

10. Sep 16, 2004

Helper Board

I am a pre K teacher and I would like information on helper board. Is there a web site where I can go and print out different helper jobs pictures?

11. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Sep 16, 2004

Grammy, can you explain how you "go as a group"? Having trouble visualizing exactly how that works.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2004

A "group" is a gathering of people having one common purpose.So, when it is time for my "group" to go outside , I say, "Hey everyone! Let's get ready to go outside. So, we all clean up our room and put on our coats if needed, and then we all sit in a large open area of my room. They do it automatically. Then, I look at all of them from head to toe, saying, "o.k. it's time for me to look you over and make sure you're shoes are tied and your all ready to go outside." (They love this part) Then, I say, "let's Go!" Everyone stands up and we walk out the door together. Now, obviously, 12 children can't fit through the door at the same time, but 2 can and they just stroll on out...no fighting, pushing, worrying about who is first, a common goal is to get to the playground---not who is first or second or in the middle or last. We come in the same way. I say, "Come on everyone!" They all come running and I stand by the door and they file on in. Hope you see it clearly now. I have very few "rules." I stress good manners and how to treat people and it covers everything.

13. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Sep 17, 2004

Grammy, that's great. I know it wouldn't work for me. I have special needs pre-k kids and if I don't have them line up one at a time, they push, shove, and run. Each child has a symbol that is in their cubbie, table, etc. I also have them on the floor by the door, so they have a place to stand.

14. Lisa H.

Lisa H. Rookie

Sep 17, 2004

I do the same with my children. We do not have a line leader and we don't line up. They look at books quietly on the circle as we are all getting ready to go out, and when we are done we say ok lets go outside. We never have an issue with fighting. :)

15. mbt

mbt Rookie

Sep 18, 2004

I have a ring of student names.....roll to the next one....It is amazing how the behavior changes when their name rolls up and the know how important their jobs are for the day. I have only one daily helper. They are the line leader, napkin passer-outer (lol), calender, weather, lights, line leader, and they get their snack first.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2004

cute ideas...I do alot of those things, too. Aren't they funny? Imagine being so excited to turn the lights off or on ,etc!!!

17. amerinpr

amerinpr Rookie

Sep 18, 2004

That is just what I do too. I make a chart for each task for the week and the kids love to see it.Then every morning I write the childs name on the board for each job. They love to see their names on the board for something other than just when they have done something wrong.
    Mt class really takes each task seriously. They love to be the helper for tooth brushing.I was surprised how strict they can be with each other. :p

18. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 18, 2004

They can often be more strict with each other than we can be with them.

19. Pammiejo

Pammiejo Rookie

Sep 18, 2004

I use clothespins with the child's name on it. Then I purchased a childsize shoebag. I then taped/laminated different helps on each pouch. I have a small group so usually everyone gets to do something. Line Leader, Caboose, Snack helper, flag/Bible holder, calendar helper, trash can helper, etc... Then I can leave them all day and they act as a reminder for me on the next day who did what the day before. Also, putting their names on them helps them learn what their names look like.
    Pammiejo