Daily grammar/bell work

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mrs. dub, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jan 15, 2006

Does anyone know of a good website or book that has some sort of daily grammar practice that can be used for bell work? I wanted something to put on the overhead projector that students can start on right away in language class (7th grade).

Or, does anyone have any unique ideas for their language bell work (other than journal topics)? I have a rough crowd--I need to get them going right away.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

3. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jan 15, 2006

I dont know if it was in 7th grade, but I remember doing DOL (Daily Oral Language) when I was in late elementary school as bell work. I am not sure it is still around, but it was sentences that were full of mistakes (capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, etc) and you had to edit it.

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jan 15, 2006

I apparently cant post web addresses, but I did a quick google search and came up with some sites with DOL examples on them.

5. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 15, 2006

My wife's mentor teacher last semester in methods had a book like the one that you are talking about. I will see if I can find out the title.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2006

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 16, 2006

You might be thinking of the book, Caught 'Ya. There is a sequel to it, too. It has been around awhile. I used it for several years and loved it.

Now, I use a social studies geography calendar. This is what I posted about it before the beginning of this school year:

Use write-on maps? Go to www.mapofthemonth.com Their products are cheap and wonderful. This week there is a special with purchase. You receive the wonderful Question of the Day Calendar free ($25 value) with purchase of anything. I just got my Question of the Day Calendar in the mail and it is awesome. Each page is 16x20 and then flips up. (Every month has a coupon attached for something free with an order in that month. Sometimes it is only free shipping, sometimes it is free maps.) Where the calendar picture would be is an interactive map - with all the instructions about what students should add, how to color it, etc. Each month is a different map (World, Native American Regions, 13 Colonies, Flags of the World, etc.)

Also, their student maps are only $1 each (cheaper for larger quantities). They have them for every state. I ordered enough for one map for a small group of students. It will probably take them a week to complete each one. I am going to use the Question of the Day Calendar for daily journal topics. They will have to do a bit of research to answer each question, though not much. This will be probably a 15 minute daily activity.

Map of the Month
    Providence, RI 02906
    1-888-876-6277

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 16, 2006

I have looked at the website and the products looks great. It says that it is geared for all grades, but in your opinion, is it really something that I could use with 1st and 2nd graders? Is so, is it something they could do independently (where directions may just need to be explained) or will it more likely have to be a full lesson?

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 16, 2006

The calendar questions are too difficult for 1st and 2nd, sorry I should have noticed that. The maps could be used with your help. They are large so more than one child could work on a map at a time.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for saving me some money. I think I may look into buying some maps.

11. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 16, 2006

An online source is
    http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.shtml

I use Daily Language Workouts from Write Source
    http://www.hsrc.com/Online Store/Language Arts/GS6th-8th.htm#Daily Language Workouts

12. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Jan 17, 2006

try googling a search on activites on language arts 7th grade.i bet you will come up with a lot of different options there i have found a lot of help with first grade worksheets and activities .