Daily folders

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by little317, Apr 29, 2008.

1. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

How many of you have daily folders?

How often do you expect parents to empty it?

I have many parents that do a great job with the task of emptying the folder daily and turn in the homework daily, while others will go nearly a month without emptying the folder.

I'd also like to know a parent's perspective. Do you empty your child's folder daily, or at least a couple times a week? How long does it take you? Do you have a set after school routine that helps you keep up with what's going on in class? It's just a little hard for me to understand that a parent can't even empty it out at least once a week, just to know if there is anything important that needs to be signed or looked at.

3. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

I have take home folders. I label one side take home/stay home and the other side take home/bring back. I also use color coded stickers as I have my children fill their own folders and at the beginning of the year it is easier for the children to locate sticker than read the words. My parents for the most part are very good about emptying the folders. They know this is where homework and important notices are.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 29, 2008

I have a take home folder and I expect it to be checked everyday. I tell my parents that they should teach their children to take the papers out and have a basket of where papers should go in their home. This way, parents don't necessarily have to rummage through their child's stuff. Plus it teaches responsibility and the parents can look at it at anytime in the evening.
    As a parent of a FUTURE kindergartner I hope to instill those responsibilities within my own daughter so I don't miss anything super important!

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

I too have labels on each side of the folder that say "right to school", "left at home." I have even reminded this one parent on numerous occasions, in notes and at a conference, to empty the folder, but she still doesn't. It took the mom about 2 weeks to sign the report card last term. It drives me nuts! What else can I do?

6. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 29, 2008

I do the same thing. At the beginning of the year during my classroom orientation I am sure to show the parents and the children how the system works. Some kids are very particular about sorting their papers accordingly, but most of mine impulsively shove the papers in whichever pocket they get to first. :unsure:

My parents this year are pretty good about emptying folders every night. I have a few kids that I need to have extra meetings with because I know their parents won't look. They are usually the kids forced to be independent in other ways at home, so they can usually make sure their parent gets the important stuff.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 29, 2008

I have to admit...as hard as I try, I don't always get to my child's folder. They are in 3rd and 6th grade but still need my monitoring and help. I find when my husband is here, I don't have a problem. When he is gone it can take everything I have to complete baths for three kids, chores, fighting, apointments/errands, lesson planning, college homework, talks about our day and so forth without losing my sanity. When my husband is here, he does half of it and I'm the homework momma. Otherwise I just have to trust they did their homework at the youth center as they said they did and let it go. It's not ideal especially given what I know about the importance of education but that's the way it rolls. Occasionally I have to have a moment to myself as well. (Gasp!). Having said that, even on a bad week, I've checked the folder a few times.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 29, 2008

We have "Friday Folders" where we place all the work from the week to go home on Fridays. It is emptied and returned on Mondays. We make them from laminated legal sized envelopes with a note that tells parents to look over the work to see what we are doing and what they need to work on at home. I only have 1-2 per week that come back with papers in them. I have a daily folder with a behavior sheet/calendar on one side and the pocket is for homework and notes from school.

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

I like your idea of the Friday folders. At least the graded papers wouldn't be mixed up with current homework assignments.

10. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 1, 2008

I do Monday Folders. They are laminated pocket folding folders. One side is the homework for the week, and the other side is for parent notes. They children are expected to bring them back with completed homework on Friday. If they bring them back, they get a "cool" animal sticker to put onto the folder. Near the end of the year some of the student's folders are full of stickers and unique to that student!

11. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 1, 2008

Our whole school does Tuesday Folders. One side says "keep at home" and one says "bring back". In addition to that I don't have a folder, I just have the kids take home their papers from that day in their book bags.