Daily Five Users - A question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ancientcivteach, May 30, 2009.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 30, 2009

How much time do you have to implement Daily 5?

How many work sessions do your children have?

Are you departmentalized? If you are, how does that impact the Daily 5 for you?

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 30, 2009

This year I had 60 minutes. My students went through 2 rotations.

Next year, I am bumping it up to 90, with 3 rotations. I think that will be plenty of time!

We aren't departmentalized.

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 31, 2009

Nattles, would you share how you worked with the 60 minute schedule? I'm departmentalized, and have only 65 minutes in class so that would be really helpful for me to visualilze.

I'm not a language arts teacher, but I really want to incorporate this somehow, and I'm in my early thinking stages. :)

5. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 31, 2009

I used about 45-60 minutes a day, depending on the day of the week. (I had 1. and 2. grade together -17 students)
    -10 minutes reading at the beginning of each day and we ended the days with creative writing and vocabulary/spelling. We didn't rotate groups but gave specific times for each thing throughout the day. But we tried sure to go through all five -sometimes we only managed 3 or 4. (Y'all know how days can turn around, especially in the friamry grades :haha: )

I'm really happy with it and how much the kids learn!

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 31, 2009

I am trying to implement the Daily 5 next year - I'm not departmentalized either and would have at least 60 minutes/day. I would love to see the schedule as well Nattles.

7. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

This year I did not do any mini-lessons in-between sessions. That helped fit in the time. Instead, I was meeting with small groups for the lessons using the Comprehension Toolkit.

Students started their first choice (they could choose from Read to Self, Listen to Reading, or Read to Someone) at 12:45 and I stopped them around 1:15. They just moved right into their next choice. Sometimes I let them go longer if they were doing really well!

Next year, I am getting rid of my DEAR time and adding that half hour to Daily 5. I had my reasons for choosing to keep them separate, but over the year kids just ended up asking to read their Read to Self books, so I'm just dissolving it. Next year I will do:

30 minute choice
    Lunch/recess
    25 minute choice
    5 minute shared reading lesson (this has a 4 day lesson plan I follow each week)
    25 minute choice

I might try to find a way to squeeze in another mini-lesson, but for the most part they will be taken care of during reading conferences using the CAFE strategies. Legally, I am not allowed to do core instruction before that first choice because I will have some students out of the room for intervention.

My writing workshop time is kept separate from the Daily 5.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  8. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

I might even require Read to Self after recess. I have always put DEAR right after recess, and the kids respond so well to it. It helps them calm down and transition into the afternoon.

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 31, 2009

I had an hour 4x a week and 90 minutes on the other day. My rotations were 20 minutes long and the students had the choice of Independent Reading (IR), Partner Reading (PR), Word Work (WW), and Writing (Wr). I required that they work their way through all 4 before repeating a choice.

We are working with novels, so this example would be repeated throughout the novel.

Day 1: Listen to Chapters 1-5 of novel on tape, or teacher reads aloud and students follow along in their books. (Usually this needed to be carried over to day 2.)

Days 2-7: Students work through rotations of IR, PR, WW, or Wr. Word Work and Writing exercises have to do with vocabulary and writing prompts specific to each of the chapters in this group.

Day 8: Vocabulary work and reading notebooks (where writing was done) are due; test is given on this chapter group.

Repeat for the next chapter group.

We had a mini-lesson on a reading or writing topic 3x a week and I pulled small groups for more intensive instruction so that I worked with each student 3 -4 times during the chapter group.

It worked extremely well and will be something that I continue next year.

And, no, we are not departmentalized.

10. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

I'm very interested to hear more responses! I will most likely be in 5th grade next year. I've started planning the implementation of the Daily 5 for the first few weeks of school. I also would like to do lit circles if we ever have time... I'm not sure what type of literacy block I will get though.