Daily Five Reflections

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amakaye, Jun 18, 2010.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2010

Daily Five--NEW QUESTION!!

I know that many people on this forum have implemented the Daily Five in the classrooms in the past few years. There are probably many others, like myself, that are thinking about how to use it. There have been a few scattered threads on it, but I was hoping this thread could be a place for us to share advice, ask questions, etc. If there is enough interest, maybe we can have a "book group" forum.

So, to start--what one piece of advice would you give to someone planning to use the Daily Five next year? Are you going to change anything about the way you implemented it?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 18, 2010

I would say if you are first trying it, read the book carefully, and attempt to do it exactly as the sisters suggest in their rundown of the first six weeks wit the Daily Five. Once you have an idea how it works, you can tweak it as necessary.

The other thing I can suggest is to try to have someone that you can collaborate with... it helped me tremendously to bounce ideas off of someone else who was experimenting with me.

I love the Daily Five, but I'm going to have to really look at how I want to use it since I will only have 90 minutes of Literacy instruction/day next year. I might do "Twice or Three Times Weekly Five"...

4. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I don't have any advice, but am excited about what others have to say! I will say that a colleague of mine had trouble using CAFE with guided reading. She said she ended up doing a whole lot more work by having a couple different strategy/level groups.

5. monsieurteacher

Jun 18, 2010

It's funny you say that MrsHoot, cause I felt that I did less work by using the CAFE thing for guided reading/strategy groups.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2010

I'm going to have to do something like that as well. I won't have nearly enough time to do all 5 parts every day.

I have a question about your whole-group mini-lessons. What do those look like? Do you do more teaching of skills and strategies in your small groups (since I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to fit that into 5-7 minutes!)?

7. monsieurteacher

Jun 18, 2010

I've never done all five parts in a day. In fact, the sisters don't recommend that. I've always done three rotations... of those three, they are required to do Read to Self and Work on Writing, and then they have one free choice. Usually, if I'm working with them in a strategy group, I count that as read to self, since they're still working on reading (that way they don't have to miss out on a free choice).

As far as my focus lessons? They're a work in progress... I think I spend FAR too much time on these. I will usually pick a strategy that I want to teach (check for understanding is a common one, because it's an important one) and then pick a story book and demonstrate using that strategy while reading the book. But yes, the majority of your skills and strategies will be taught small group/one on one... I admit that I spent much more time doing one-on-one conferences than working with small groups this year. I think it's so much more beneficial, and can be done fairly quickly.

I will say, that having come into a classroom partway through the year, that was already equipped with books was surprisingly difficult for me. I got the feeling that the teacher who preceded me did not want the kids going through her books, so I couldn't really work with students on picking good fit books... this is something I definitely want to do next year, as I have a large enough library now that I think I could manage it.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 18, 2010

I am reading the book right now. A friend of mine did it this year and LOVED it.

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

Dfleming~ I would love to hear more! What I assumed was that in a guided reading setting, it would be more of a mentor text instead of a book that they were all reading at the same time. That way you demonstrate to the students what skill you are working on, and practice it as a group. Then from my understanding, the kids would read silently or all whisper read and you would individually check with each of them to listen for the particular skill or ask them how they are using it.

Did you do leveled guided reading groups during Daily 5 or outside of it?

10. monsieurteacher

Jun 18, 2010

That's pretty much exactly it MrsHoot.

I started off with levelled groups within Daily 5, though I started to break away from levelled groups altogether and just worked on strategy groups.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2010

I strongly agree-this is exactly what I was going to say. I also did 3 rotations (read to self, work on writing, choice) like dfleming.

Building stamina is so important to the success of Daily 5. Make sure you stay out of the way, in the corner, and don't make eye contact. The kids need to learn how to be completely independent. Also, as soon as you see one child off-task, bring them back together. In the beginning this is incredibly difficult (especially in kindergarten!). Sometimes they would last only 5 seconds and we would have to stop. Eventually, they got up to 21 minutes of independent, uninterrupted Read to Self and Work on Writing. Other teachers were amazed when they came in my classroom and saw kids so young working so quietly and independently. It was all because I was so strict when building stamina.

I would also suggest, for younger kids, having a group bathroom break right before you start the Daily 5. This cut down on bathroom interruptions (or, as the Sisters say, "building bathroom stamina").

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2010

The first weeks the book is attached to me.
    I use it nearly word for word.

The students help me create the I-charts, but after the 6 weeks (or so) are done, I permanently mount premade ones.

Focus lessons were tough for me at first until I saw the Sisters at a conference. They proved that it can be done well and that students really only have that 5-7 minutes of focus/stamina in whole group. Sometimes I end a focus lesson, do a Daily, then continue that same focus lesson.

During my focus lessons, I do a lot of phonics, sampling of my own writing, DOL, word wall, etc.

During small group, I focus on comprehension. fluency, main idea, dictionary skills, etc.

I do manage to get all 5 into one day. Some days each session is shorter. It is split up around the entire day.

This year I plan to do small groups 3 days and CAFE 2 days plus a little here and there on small group days.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

Okay--New question! (Now that I've finally gotten the CAFE book from the library and read it--and yes, my copies are on the way from Barnes and Noble)

How do you give grades? If you don't, how would you if you had to?

14. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I'm just thinking out loud on this one... because I haven't done it before. In our district we have a new online grade system, which is kind of difficult because we don't have letter grades in 1st. We are told to think 6, 8, 10 (out of 10 points)which would correspond with our 3 levels.

Since CAFE has 4 different skills, and you are working on them with a particular skill in strategy groups, I think this could be an informal observation grade. After you have taught it to the group, practiced it as a group, and given independent practice, you could assess how each child did. (You kind of already do this, in order to move from one skill to another anyway) 10, 8, 6 could be assigned to how they are doing. 10 if they mastered it, 8 if they are reaching the desired achievement, and a 6 if they are struggling still.

As far as Daily 5, I am not sure about that yet. I guess it depends on how the two are being integrated.

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Please see "Kindergarten" for my recent questions.

16. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

For me, the best part of Daily 5 came when I integrated CAFE. Hands down, it has had a greater impact on the learning in my classroom.

Since this thread asked about Daily 5, I will say that I also NEVER get to all 5 rotations in a day. I've never even tried - it's that impossible for upper elementary. Some days it's only 2 rotations: read to self and writing. Other days it's 3 rotations.

One thing that I really like about the Daily 5 is that it forces me as a teacher to meet all of the parts for essential reading and writing instruction (with CAFE!) and that my students know what to expect of their day.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

Sorry, Hawk, maybe I should have put my new question at the beginning of the thread!

How do you handle grading within the Daily 5 and CAFE? Also, is their a similar resource for writing strategies?

18. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

How to use Daily 5 with ABEKA curriculum in Kindergarten?

19. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jul 9, 2010

People who have used Daily 5 successfully, what is does your school's adopted curriculum look like? We are using Houghton Mifflin and we have a curriculum map. It literally tells us which theme and week to be working on so that all schools are in sync. I'm trying to figure out how to do this, when we also do some type of ability grouping throughout the day, which takes another ~45 min-hour.

20. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I have always had a hard time grading reading. In the past, most of the stuff that I've graded has been responses, book talks, etc. I always felt like I was grading a by-product of reading and never really READING. I have actually found that using Daily 5/CAFE has made grading easier for me. I don't know if that can be directly attributed to Daily 5/CAFE or if it's because using Daily 5/CAFE has opened my eyes to reading in a new way. I'm in the process of developing a new rubric right now to help grade. The rubric includes the student's progress toward their individual CAFE goal, selection of good-fit books (in varying genres), on task behavior - built up reading stamina. I also assess for their use of our six reading/thinking strategies: connecting, questioning, inferring, visualizing, determining importance, synthesizing. I use my notes from our conferences and some pre-post quizzes on these strategies.

My grading with Daily 5/CAFE is definitely a work in progress. I'd love to hear what others are doing in their classrooms!

The sisters don't have any specific writing resources. My district uses 6+1 traits and I get my writing strategy lessons from those books (they don't make a crate for sixth grade). I also use the website WritingFix and Corbett Harrison's website for ideas. This summer I read Mechanically Inclined and plan on using those lessons as well to teach grammar.

21. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

We use a balanced literacy approach and are given a lot of freedom as to how we accomplish our quarterly standards and benchmarks, so it's very easy for me. I think it would be possible for you to work your required curriculum into a framework similar to Daily 5. You could use HM during the strategy/focus lesson time. Then, when students are doing read to self, writing, word work, listen to reading, or read with someone you can pull students for individual conferences, guided reading, etc. Maybe your grouping is done under the heading of read with someone (your group)?

The beauty of Daily 5 is that it's a jumping off place for structure. I think you can make it work, if you really want to.

22. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

I agree that building stamina is incredibly important. With my 4th graders we created the I charts together and spent a great deal of time talking about what the classroom would look and sound like while they were working. Every moment we spent was well worth it with the independence they showed. We revisited the charts and discussions as needed.

This is what I did last year with 4th Grade:

I have an hour 4x a week and 90 minutes on the other day. My rotations are 20 minutes long and the students had the choice of Independent Reading (IR), Partner Reading (PR), Listening to Reading (LR), Word Work (WW), and Writing (Wr). I required that they work their way through all 5 before repeating a choice. I made CDs for the Listening to Reading by reading the stories or chapters aloud and recording them to disk.

We are working with novels, so this example would be repeated throughout the novel.

Day 1: Listen to Chapters 1-5 of novel on tape, or teacher reads aloud and students follow along in their books. (Usually this needed to be carried over to day 2.)

Days 2-7: Students work through rotations of IR, PR, LR, WW, or Wr. Word Work and Writing exercises have to do with vocabulary and writing prompts specific to each of the chapters in this group.

Day 8: Vocabulary work and reading notebooks (where writing was done) are due; test is given on this chapter group.

Repeat for the next chapter group.

We had a mini-lesson on a reading or writing topic 3x a week and I pulled small groups for more intensive instruction so that I worked with each student 3 -4 times during the chapter group.

23. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

They way our curriculum works, while teacher is having reading groups (guided reading) the others are doing "seatwork" (all worksheets ). If using Daily 5 - When do you get in the worksheets? Do you have another block of time for that? We also have worksheets that are done as a class during some large group lessons. AND then there's the writing, "worksheets for that too though we do have journal writing as well.
    Just not understanding how you fit it all in if you have worksheets which I can't imaging not having at least some in kinder and more in first +.

24. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I got an idea from jmeacham's website to graph the number of minutes each day while trying to build stamina. My 1st graders loved seeing how many min. they did successfully each day in comparison to the other days. And when we reached our goal of 20 minutes we went out to recess a few minutes earlier.

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

I think I might do that this year...Last year I had a laminated poster that said "Our stamina is _____." I would use a dry-erase marker to change it each day. It was so much fun: I would sound my chimes, and the kids would pick up and come to the carpet. I wouldn't tell them how long they were working, and I would try to keep a straight face. I would write their time, in minutes, on the poster, and then slowly turn it around so they could see. I'll never forget when they went from 5 minutes of writing to 15 one day. They were so proud of themselves, and had such a sense of accomplishment. We cheered and danced. ;)

26. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

Are any of you Reading 1st schools? I know this label is phasing out, or so I've heard but I'm wondering if it would be ok for me to try Daily 5 in my classroom. We do have centers right now but they are labeled: Fluency (reading to self basically), Comprehension, Vocabulary, Phonics and Decodable Text and then I am to run small groups.

27. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Good idea DrivingPidgeon! I think I'll do that too!