Daily Five Not Working

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2011

I have done Daily 5 for 3 years with success. I am not having success AT ALL this year!

It is day 6 and we still haven't made it 3 minutes with reading to self. There is interruption, getting up, using the bathroom, spacing out, humming, etc. I have even had to send kids to time out.

Today I started assessing kids (because I HAD to) and my second graders are so low! Of the 10 I assessed only 2 read up through the 2nd grade words on the San Diego Quick Assessment, 6 didn't make it past the PRIMER level, one struggled at pre-primer and 1 got through first grade. I have two kids that I am sure read at a late second/early third grade level, but haven't checked yet formally. They just read everything in sight (Junie B. Jones, those Flower Fairy books, Geronimo Stilton, etc.)

I do have a number of challenging students (ADHD, Dyslexia) but I have modeled, modeled, modeled and we have done all the lessons. Like I said, I have done this for three years.

I think I just have too many kids who can't read even level C, D books and are not able to sustain their attention by "reading the pictures" like a first grader might because they are discouraged and this is a pattern for them (not being able to read the books they want to read.)

I feel I need to ditch Daily 5 until I get them some stronger skills. Any ideas??

(I have already been doing shared reading of poetry, but even then, a lot of them don't follow along or pretend to read. We composed lists of word family words and they read those. We read our word wall words. Today in science, they read the activity which had several questions that repeated like "which spider is the biggest? which spider is the fastest?" which they did well on.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2011

I don't think you need to stop doing it because your kids are low. I did Daily 5 the past 3 years in my kindergarten classroom beginning the 2nd week of school. Most kids can't read even an A book until about January, but their stamina was up to 20 minutes by the end of October.

Could you maybe spend more time on the 3 ways to read a book? Maybe they aren't understanding how to read the pictures or retell stories. It is possible to video-tape them doing it well, and talk about what they are doing correctly? Then they can see themselves doing it the right way.

The Daily Cafe website has some information on barometer children. It sounds like you may have quite a few of them! If you go to this link there is a video, and there are other related articles and videos at the bottom of the page. http://www.thedailycafe.com/public/1747.cfm?sd=104

Also, I have kids stay in for recess to practice for a few minutes. This seems to help for some.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

Are they honest with themselves when you do your check-ins? If not, maybe talking about that is a place to start. Or, maybe you have to share--I noticed this and that...

Have you done the modeling incorrectly? Our first grade teacher was having some difficulties with her student, so she modeled the incorrect way, and included many of the issues she was seeing. That really helped some of her kiddos.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 14, 2011

Have you done the 10 steps faithfully?

Have you pulled aside your barometer children with the interventions suggested?

Are you doing CAFE at all? I find some kids are SO low they need some of those early strategies before they're able to spend time on any text.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2011

I teach low cognitive students (preschool level to grade 3) and it took my students (all boys) until after Spring Break to finally get it. I was totally set up to do something else b/c I had given up on Daily 5. I focused on read to self, work with teacher, listen to reading (they completed a worksheet based on their levels after this) and word work (file folder games or a literacy based center).

7. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 14, 2011

I am having some similar problems. I have a very low group, including several students with ADHD. I also have almost all boys. My kids were doing well and building stamina, but when I started trying to do reading conferences, some of them have started going off task.

My kids were doing well, so I'm wondering what I need to do to get them back on track?

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2011

I would recommend just starting over again and doing some review. Like I said, every student in my class are low cog. and that includes students with ADHD (pretty much all of them), autism and fetal alcohol syndrome. I had to play around with the groups until I found out who was successful with who and who can be working at what activity while I had certain groups working with me.

I also started giving out stickers when we switched activities when we did a check in (3 stickers--get started right away, worked quietly and worked the whole time) and after if students got a certain number of stickers then they earned 10 minutes free time at the end of the day. I did this for about a month, until the students were able to be successful on a consistent basis.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2011

I was feelikng this same way until TODAY! It clicked. We were lucky to have 1 minute of stamina :eek: but today we had 7 minutes in the AM and they asked for more in the PM and they went 12! So hang in there.

I suggest not giving up...it's only been 6 days.

Do you have enough copies of one book for everyone? For 3 ways to read a book, read the pictures together then send them off to do it themselves during read to self. Repeat for read the words and retell. Maybe if they do it this way a few times, they will be able to with their own?

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2011

I would give it some more time. It's still early yet.