Daily Five Expectations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Oct 5, 2014.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2014

I'm having some trouble with my students talking during their Daily 5 rotations (2nd grade). They will do great when I walk around or just sit and watch them. But the second I bring a group back to work with me, several students start talking. I have to keep asking them to stop so I can hear my group, which wastes a lot of time. They're also not learning during that time because of the conversations. It doesn't help that I have students coming and going a lot. I get the feeling that my grade level team thinks I'm being too picky. I don't want to lower my expectations, but I'm new to 2nd grade and Daily 5 and would love some opinions. I've tried several different things already to try to fix the problem.

What do you expect from your students? I would also love suggestions on how to fix the problem!

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 5, 2014

I expect them to be completely quiet during Daily 5. I'm not even meeting with groups yet, because they aren't ready. I introduced choice last week, and they were able to work for three 20-minute rounds with only 1 child whispering. As soon as I heard that first whisper, I stopped the entire class, and they all started over. This week we'll continue to working on making choices, and working the whole time (quietly).

I think one crucial thing is that you mentioned that they're fine when you walk around, or when you watch them. When they're building stamina it's very important that they don't think you're watching them. You're not supposed to walk around, make eye contact, or interact with them in any way. I don't give my students any feedback while they're building stamina (either verbal or non-verbal). I usually have my laptop open at my small-group table, and I'll check my email or something. I'll sometimes correct papers, or do other "busy-work" while watching them at the same time.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 6, 2014

This. You need to spend some time re-training them. Sit at the table where you work with small groups and work on something while watching out of the corner of your eye. No eye contact with the class. My class will be quiet while I sit at my table, but if I sit 1-1 with a student to conference then they talk. They are trained to do Read to Self while I'm at my table. So now we're working on staying quiet while I conference.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 6, 2014

I should have mentioned that when I do start meeting with groups, there is almost always talking. I usually try to stop this by immediately moving the talking child(ren) to work right next to my table. If it continues, I keep them in for recess for a few minutes to practice. It's usually no more than 3 kids.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I want to reteach, but my grade level team told me not to...they said I need to be meeting with groups and don't have time. I definitely don't agree, so I'm going to try to find some extra time to work on it. I did move a few students by me today and it worked a little better. I also cut rotations down to 15 minutes each.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 6, 2014

Definitely re-teach. In the long run you'll get more done. Rushing is one of the biggest mistake a teacher can make.